P0410 code-- Mercedes C230 1997 --162K miles

Chaud

Also, grc auto pinned that one also, if you don't erase originating code, this will MOST deffinatley prevent a drive cycle to complete, because from the get go, it is pre programmed to go into a algorythm limp in mode, but will self erase limp in mode at start up and self check, hence check light going out. But KAM (kam "keep alive memory" was predominant back then). so this is essentially your problem right now. SO just erase it, follow directions and we should in principal get to the basic of the bosch.
Nice to hear from you nickb2. I checked all the drive cycle tests with OBd2 Bluetooth adapter and all tests have been completed. If I erase P0410, all drive cycle codes will be erased simultaneously too. First time this code appeared in January 2019 I erased it as you and grcauto suggested. After 3 months of driving all drive cycle codes were completed except catalyst test. One day computer performed the last and remaining drive cycle test “catalyst” and immediately turned on “check engine” light. So If I erase it, it will come back again when all drive cycle tests are completed. This code does not bother me or causing any engine or driving problem but I cannot pass the smog test unless it is gone ( no “check engine” light nor pending in the memory).

Chaud

This is just an update on the problem. Luckily on this car it is very easy to verify if fresh air is being pumped into the exhaust when you start the car. So the idea was to detach the air pump hose from the diverter or air flow valve body and then start the car. If all is working good then I should see air blowing out of the hose like crazy and should expect exhaust gases blowing out from the hole where AIR pump hose was. All this will only happen if diverter valve simultaneously opens by the vacuum line at its input. If vacuum is missing, valve will stay closed and I will not see exhaust gases blowing out from the hole. So I started the car and within few seconds AIP pump comes on and blowing air from the hose. I also feel a big blast of exhaust gases coming out of the diverter valve hole where the hose was connected. After 30 seconds or so AIR pump stops and at the same time exhaust gases stop while car is running. This shows the system is working perfectly as it should. I have been driving the car for 3 days but no " check engine " light yet but code P0410 is still pending in the system. I am afraid It might show up one of these days. On the other hand It is possible the exhaust gases have cleaned out the pipe and no restriction in injecting the air. If it did not work then I am thinking to check if O2 sensor is bad. Any idea or thoughts are welcome.
Chaud

Wild Bill

Where are you located? I do emissions testing in Georgia. A pending code or stored code without a check engine light does not cause a car to fail. One monitor incomplete also passes. Some places are stricter I am sure. We also can get a free 30 extension on you tag with a failure to allow time for repair.

Chaud

Where are you located? I do emissions testing in Georgia. A pending code or stored code without a check engine light does not cause a car to fail. One monitor incomplete also passes. Some places are stricter I am sure. We also can get a free 30 extension on you tag with a failure to allow time for repair.
Thanks for your inputs. I live in southern CA where the laws are very stringent about pollution. But it will be worthwhile to ask any smog shop in my area if this is permissible when no check engine light but P0410 code stored. Right now I am thinking how to change downstream O2 sensor which is very hard to reach. In either case, I will update in a day or two what I find out. Chaud

Chaud

With hard to access the downstream O2 sensor I decided to visit the smog test center on the advice of Wild Bill and asked if car will pass with pending P0410 code but no check engine light on. The technician told me as long as no check engine on and passes the smog tests it should be fine. He performed the tests and car passed. It was such a relief and moment of happiness. I like to thank you all who helped me to resolve this problem with valuable inputs and guidance.
Chaud