P0430 Chevy Express '97

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
so if you read that article to the end, you will notice the value of freeze frames, hence mode 6 importance of the on board data logging incorporated into the pcm, so even if (P) is driving oblivious, it still records.

And yes, at the end it is a hanatech plug to buy, you already have half the tools needed, I just think you havent invested yet in a high end scanner, but you dont need one of those for this, just a live data thing will do the job.

Hoping you are well, and I heard on news that calif is ahead of game on vaccines, that is great news for this heavy populated region of usa

Here is a cool video of scanner danner on fuel trims, probably posted that here a few times, but I really like learning from this guy. For some reason, he makes sense to my french arse.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
for those interested, here is a link to the korean stuff, looks good on paper.

I like trying mew stuff out, this scope looks sweet. I like the all in one aspect. Cuz my laptop is my screen, cus the autel tablet when using the built in processor is too slow with its on screen.

Anyway, as usual, rambling on.

I havent found canadian dollar pricing yet, but this may be the one I was looking for my personal tool set.

If any of you have an interest, plz look at link. Is this something I should buy. Of note, I want only ppl that know my skill set to plz respond. Cuz the pico stuff is way to much dinero for my poor french arse. ;):D:giveup::bat:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Hmm... lots of info to digest there! Does "GMH" mean nothing more than General Motors, Holden? How about "VT"?

I have never been good at tuning or understanding "PID" loops. It didn't help that the terms were changed over the years from "Rate, Windup, and Reset" to "Proportional, Integral, and Derivative" (not necessarily in that order!) This was all long before automotive use of such controls. The way I read it, the automotive "I" factor is STFT, but in industrial controllers I think the "I" is long-term.

I may just have to throw a cat at it! I have a few weeks to sort this out before smog-test is due.

Are we having fun, Jack?

PS: Nick, I responded to your reply #15 and hadn't even seen the following ones yet. Even more to digest!

JackC

wrench
Bill: What is the problem . Did it not pass smog, or check eng light on??

You were posting the same time I was. I see you have not gone for SMOG yet. Are you concerned it will not pass?

billr

wrench
Staff member
CEL was on, with code P0430. I think that will be an automatic fail. I erased code today, am waiting to see if code comes back or if the "ready for test" light on my scanner blesses me with its presence. In history was also P0420 (same thing, but for other bank. I'm afraid I'm going have to get one new cat; will probably go for both if I go to the bother. These are original cats, so I can't be disappointed on how they lasted, just annoyed that CA won't let the old cars that are still on the road finish out their life peacefully. I probably don't use this beast more than 2-3K miles per year now, only when I have to haul big loads.

Now back to the technical problem here... I watched live-data today, it looks like all four O2 sensors are responding OK, they are operational (and have already "passed" the PCM testing after code erase). However, I'm still not quite sure how the S2s should respond. It looks like they kind of follow the S1s; like the cats are just "passing on" the same gas mix as went through the S1s. Not good! I'm not saying the S2 readings are "in sync" with the S1s., or even that they are at exactly the same frequency. Freq does look "about the same", though. Hard to tell without being able to graph it and I don't know any way to do that with my old MT2500. (No, it is not an MTG2500).

I understand recent advice that the S2s should not toggle, should stay above 450 mV. However, I am pretty sure I have read here in the past that the S2s do toggle, but at a much slower rate than S1s; so I'm a bit confused. Gotta study all that good stuff already posted in this thread some more, maybe do some online searching.

PS: Sensors on B1 andB2 seem to act the same, I don't think I'm going to try swapping them.

Last edited:

JackC

wrench
Bill: I have a Elm 327 Bluetooth 2.1 version that works. I have used on my 1998 Chev, using the free software, just for fun. I'm sure you would need to upgrade to a paid ( $5- 10 ) software to get the type of data you want. I also have a Samsung Android phone to use with it.

You are welcome to use any or all of it. I would be interested in working with you to, if you want. I will be of no help, but I would be interested in seeing how you use the data and graphs. I have never used that part of it.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Thanks, I may take you up on that. That was my thought, too, as I woke up this morning; get an ELM327 "scanner" and SW. I am under pressure from P to "get it done", she is in a panic because the reg renewal is due 4/21. I am pretty resigned to the notion I will have to take this to a shop and have the cat(s) replaced. $500-1000, I'm guessing.

PS: fuel trims I observed were all low, like <5% for long and short. I don't think there is any basic engine problem.

JackC

wrench
EDITED I would be happy to buy and download and install the $5 Torque Pro software for you and me to try. I just never purchased it because I have never needed it. Plus I really do not know what to do with the data anyway. You best check to see if this will give you the data you want.

I am sure you know that you must pay the state registration fee prior to the due date to prevent penalties , but can delay the SMOG certification past that date without penalties. Of course, in theory you can not drive it because you will not get a new sticker until you pass SMOG . But I see lots of vehicles without proper stickers and no cops seem to care. I am driving mine without the sticker now while awaiting the exhaust fix and certification. I figure I can explain my way out of a ticket if ever stopped.

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Before JackC buys the Torque Pro upgrade for us to try, can anybody confirm that it will provide graphs of the O2 sensor action that I can post here for review/comments? Anybody familiar with that function of Torque Pro and willing to help JackC set it up, if necessary?

I feel both cats are bad, but would like to post the graphs to get more educated opinions before throwing cats at it; I expect that will run close to $1000!

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
I have it and use it infrequently. My son works at a GMC dealership in parts and he set mine up. Bought the connector on Amazon for 14. It graphs the O2 sensors . I love it for what I use it for. really was no setup just download the app. You can set up and remember vehicles in iit as well