p0700 97 dodge caravan

tgng

Hello All,

My engine service light is on. I went to have it check at autozone, the code read as follow:

P0700

Definition: Transaxle control system fault

Explanation

ECM received a signal that the transaxle control module has a fault

Probable causes

1. shorted or open circuit within transaxle
2. failure of transaxle control module

Let me state the problem, and it was going on and off about last winter since.

When start, the engine works fine, but can not shift to any gear. I have to restart few times before shifting to drive gear. And drove about few minutes the drive gear turnning loose, its engine still on but no gear could shift. It took 10 minutes before I was able to shift to drive again. And this happens when the weather is cold.

And recently, when I tried to shift to drive gear, it showed R instead of, this happened once so far.

it is 128,000mls.

Please tell me what is the problem and how to fix the problem or I have to bring to the dealer? Is it expensive to be fixed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
I think that is an information code only and it is telling you there is a tranny code stored and you will have to go to a shop that can scan for tranny codes...Autozone can't get tranny codes..I am sure if Transman, or Cheef come on line they can tell you more about it....Jim

kev2

wrench
hopefully everything is stock....No remote starter, etc??  Let us know other codes or problems?  Let us know which engine as different trans = different component locations

P0700 is a "generic" code for a problem with the transmission - there are manufacturer specific codes stored in the TCM... This causes the system to default to "limp" mode 2nd gear only to limp on home and repair.

simple things first...
Have you changed the transmission fluid- trans fflush?
The fact the indicator was not in agreement with shifter MAY offer a clue, check the wiring at TRS (transmission  range selector) switch.

BUT the first step is getting the other codes.

Sorry GTG

tgng

Jim Fairbanks said:
I think that is an information code only and it is telling you there is a tranny code stored and you will have to go to a shop that can scan for tranny codes. . . Autozone can't get tranny codes. . I am sure if Transman, or Cheef come on line they can tell you more about it. . . . Jim
Thank you so much for quick responding.

Do you which shop would do the tranny codes? does it cost?

Thanks.

tgng

kev2 said:
hopefully everything is stock. . . . No remote starter, etc?? Let us know other codes or problems? Let us know which engine as different trans = different component locations

P0700 is a "generic" code for a problem with the transmission - there are manufacturer specific codes stored in the TCM. . . This causes the system to default to "limp" mode 2nd gear only to limp on home and repair.

simple things first. . .
Have you changed the transmission fluid- trans fflush?
The fact the indicator was not in agreement with shifter MAY offer a clue, check the wiring at TRS (transmission range selector) switch.

BUT the first step is getting the other codes.

Sorry GTG
Kev2,

1. Everything is original. I have no remote starter

2. don't remember I have ever changed it yet since bought the car new in 1997. . . .
So, have to bring to the shop for transmission fluid change or which I could self do?

3. Where is TRS switch that I could recognize for checking?

Your input is certainly helping a lot.

Appreciate.

kev2

wrench
No need to change the fluid ....the question about fluid change was looking for cause and effect...

The first step will be to get the codes from TCM....

A suggestion was to check the electrical connections on the transmission for the obvious ...loose- corroded- damaged wiring...

let us know the engine size to zero in on the different uunits I show 2.

We have a resident Mopar trans expert "CHEEF" he is the 41T series guru I will send him a message to pick up on this thread ...

tgng

kev2 said:

let us know the engine size to zero in on the different uunits I show 2.

We have a resident Mopar trans expert "CHEEF" he is the 41T series guru I will send him a message to pick up on this thread . . .
Very nice of you for very fast replied!

Sorry, I don't understand the meaning of the above sentence.

my engine size is 3. 3. Is that what you meant?

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
Here is a description of the code you have....Jim................
P0700 Information Code
Notes

The Transmission/Transaxle Controller monitors the malfunction of sensors and actuators relating to Transmission/Transaxle Control. If any malfunction is detected, they inform the PCM by sending a signal - By illuminating the MIL and by setting the P0700 code.

P0700 means that a code has been set in the Transmission/Transaxle Controller.

This code is for information ONLY.

If P0700 is present, check for Transmission/Transaxle codes.

kev2

wrench
in english now :) ....Sorry I am watching the games

I asked
"let us know the engine size to zero in on the different uunits I show 2".

I wanted to say
which engine do you have..... now we know 3.3

we need this because there are 2 different transmissions used in this vehicle,

the next step will be to get the Transmission codes....and post them ...

tgng

Thanks Jim for your input.

Kev2,

How and/or where could I get the transmission code?

I am female, please excuse me for all my uneducated questions about car.

tgng

Thank you very much Jim.

I will call Tuesday to see who doing it.

wap

GO MOUNTAINEERS
If they scan tcm(transmission control module), and codes indicate the TRS (transmission range selector) or call it a neutral saftey switch, this switch is about $28.00 aftermarket. I suspect this is where you will find the problem judging by the posts, but the scan of the TCM is the key. Good luck. ;D

crunch

wrench
tgng said:
Thanks Jim for your input.

Kev2,

How and/or where could I get the transmission code?

I am female, please excuse me for all my uneducated questions about car.

On some 97's you may be able to get codes from check engine light.

Key from of to on three times and watch check engine light.

Watch for and count short and long check engione light blinks/flashes.
Post back blinks shorts and longs for help on it.

And do not worry it is not trying flirt with or make eyes or winking at you it is just trying to tell you it problem. :)
Crunch