P0700 on 95 jimmy

Details
95 GMC Jimmy
4.3L V6
134K miles
VIN code W
PCM is OBDII even though emissions sticker shows OBDI (I am using an autotap EZ scan 5000 Will only work with OBDII cable, not GM OBDI(I) 16 pin ALDL cable)

I posted recently on this truck about it burping fluid out of the vent. Below is a link to my first post. Since then I have been driving it gently (only have one vehicle) while looking for rebuild kits and books. I have noticed a few things during these past few weeks. The shifting seems to be in the right place but it does not shift like I think a GMC should. It shifts like my 99 taurus, sloppy-smooth and uneventful, just not truck like and not firm but not obviously slipping. I cant describe it. Maybe Im way off. Anyway, it down shifts like it should, and seems ok.

So anyway, Transman said this transmission was toast because it was burping its fluid and the fluid levels were all over the place. After reading a great deal about how automatics work, I can see why he is right. What I want to know is, why am I getting this code (it is pending, not set) and is it related? I think I may have been giving him bad information though. I realized that when I was reading the dipstick before, I was reading it wrong, mainly because the filler tube had fluid on it causing a bad reading....long story. Anyway, after putting in about a quart and a half total of dex III (not universal) the fluid is staying dead center of the cross hatch area and it has not burped any fluid. I know this for fact because I put the vent into a jar under the hood to catch what comes out. Also note its been the hottest here its ever been (over 100F a few days).

The purpose of my post is to find out what this code means, what I need to do about it and how it does or does not relate to the previous burping.

Previous post
http://www.batauto.com/Forums/index.php/topic,3615.0.html

Better to stay with the post you started.
What code no?
At least you got fluid in it.
Have you cleared the code and checked to see if it returned.
Does the dip stick have the red fliper top on it?
Have you pulled the pan to check the filter and what is in the bottom of pan?

Yeah, its the one that has the red flipper on it that locks it in. The code is P0700 and it does not trigger the MIL however it does list as pending. I cleared the code and it came back within a few minutes.

I have not pulled the pan yet. I wanted to ask about that....I know that this is a rather messy job. One where you should go ahead and pour dex fluid all over yourself before you get started because your going to get covered in it anyway. Seriously though, my understanding is to remove all bolts but the 2 that are the highest, loosen those, crack loose the pan using a rubber mallet or a block of wood if needed but never pry with a metal screwdriver, let it drain into a catch pan and once done, hold the pan while removing the last 2 bolts. From there, the filter is held in by one or 2 bolts right? Installation is simply a new filter, gasket and an equal amount of new fluid down the filler tube. Am I right so far?

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
The code you are retrieving is a "generic" code that simply means the trans computer has reported to the engine computer that it has a code. To find out what code you actually have you will have to go into the trans computer with a trans capable scanner.
To service the trans you are correct on the pan drop method, the filter is not held in with any bolts. You just gently twist and pull down firmly, be careful as it will let go suddenly.
Check your connections at the case connector, these early units were problematic for "pin pullout". This is the action of the pins pulling out of the connector and you check them one at a time, also they are easily bent at the trans side so be careful placing the connector back. These symptoms are also common to the "broken circuit board" that I told you about before. Good Luck, Transman

I see another post in domectic on this and another post in transmission forums with other problems.

You need to get all of your post together and when you post give us all of the info on it in one place and at one time.
Crunch

My post in domestic is just about EGR issues. I split up my engine and transmission issues because I thought I was supposed to.

Your engine has to be running right before the transmission will work right.
When posting always give all the information you have on it.

Sorry if I caused a bunch of trouble. I got stuck on the transmission problem because it was the first thing that caught my attention by burping some fluid out of its vent. Later on the MIL started showing the EGR issues. I diddnt think they were related because the EGR problems on this truck have been going on for years.

Don't sweat the posts. Sometimes folks will have posts in all the different forums, so sometimes we try and contain them.
Your posts seem in the appropraite forums.