Boomer

Make
Chevrolet
Model
S10
Year
Miles
Engine
My transmission started slipping the other day. I got a code P0751. I can drive it and accelerate very slowly and it usually shifts through the gears. Sometimes it doesn't seem to go into OD. I believe it's a 460LE. My scanner says previously reported fixes were replacing the shift solenoid and replacing the Transmission. I just picked up two AC Delco OEM solenoids and a new pan gasket. I have a new filter already.

Do you guys think this will do the trick and how bad of a job is it?

grcauto

Without more testing who knows. I would like to see what the pressures are doing when it slips. If pressure is good you will likely need to teat it down to fix it properly.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
These were a common fix back then when a shift solenoid stuck or was gunked up.

My $.02, you say you got the solenoid and pan gasket. I would try putting a rinse agent in there, drive a few miles, dump oil, remove shift solenoid "A", repan the trans, clear codes and drive it. This was classic back then.

My understanding is that yes, this is a 460leletric, so here is a video I found on how to replace all thos solenoids,. So if you want. Check it out. It is easier than you think. ;)

Boomer

Without more testing who knows. I would like to see what the pressures are doing when it slips. If pressure is good you will likely need to teat it down to fix it properly.
I wish your shop was close. I'd just let you look at it. It's hard to find anyone you can trust anymore. I used to know a few local mechanics but, they've all gotten older and retired from that now. I just do everything myself. I don't think I'd do a trans tear down though. Too much for one novice guy that also has a full time job. I'd have to buy a tranny jack. Then I'm sure it's a big job. I've been pricing newer trucks but wow, now is not the time to buy. Prices are outrageous with this whole chip shortage thing.

Boomer

These were a common fix back then when a shift solenoid stuck or was gunked up.

My $.02, you say you got the solenoid and pan gasket. I would try putting a rinse agent in there, drive a few miles, dump oil, remove shift solenoid "A", repan the trans, clear codes and drive it. This was classic back then.

My understanding is that yes, this is a 460leletric, so here is a video I found on how to replace all thos solenoids,. So if you want. Check it out. It is easier than you think. ;)

Thanks, Nick. I have watched that video and a couple of others. :). I guess all I can do is give it a try. As you know. There is no drain plug. I'd prefer to take the pan off once lol. It's gonna be messy. I have some plastic and cardboard to lay down. This vehicle being 20 years old is starting to get annoying. I enjoy some work on these things but, not this and not so often :p

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Boomer, if you wish, I would like to PM you, just to say hi off the forum, if not, gosh, I really like you and your can do attitude.

:oops:;):D$.02:beer::beer::bat::giveup:

billr

wrench
Staff member
The trans type is actually "4L60E", and doing the pan/filter/fluid bit isn't so bad. Make sure the vehicle/pan is level, then remove all screws except two at each end (fwd and rear). Next, loosen the rear ones several turns and then the fwd ones. If the pan is still stuck to the gasket/trans, pry down the rear and fluid should run out there. Once the gush stops, loosen the rear more, along with the front if needed, so that the pan tilts down and you get as much fluid out as possible. The key is to start out with the pan level, then little fluid will come out except at the rear, a "known" spot to put your pan. Of course, I have a bunch of pans 24" x 36" x 2" so I can't miss!

For a trans jack, I recommend the $100 one from Harbor Freight. I finally bought one, after all these years, because I had to do a trans removal at a JY and wanted it to go as easily as possible. However, I have found all kinds of other uses for that trans jack; a good GP tool.

Boomer

Boomer, if you wish, I would like to PM you, just to say hi off the forum, if not, gosh, I really like you and your can do attitude.

:oops:;):D$.02:beer::beer::bat::giveup:

Any time, Nick. Be advised that I'm currently doing this particular job. Last thing I need to figure out is how to get the old filter seal out of the trans without damaging anything. I bought a one piece filter from global transmission so I can't just reuse the old seal. I don't think? Maybe it's just slid on there snug from global but, would come off. The new solenoids are in. The gasket surface is all clean. Just wrestling this dumb seal now. :confused: https://globaltransmissionparts.com/4L60E-deep-style-transmission-oil-filter-upgraded/

Last edited:

Boomer

The trans type is actually "4L60E", and doing the pan/filter/fluid bit isn't so bad. Make sure the vehicle/pan is level, then remove all screws except two at each end (fwd and rear). Next, loosen the rear ones several turns and then the fwd ones. If the pan is still stuck to the gasket/trans, pry down the rear and fluid should run out there. Once the gush stops, loosen the rear more, along with the front if needed, so that the pan tilts down and you get as much fluid out as possible. The key is to start out with the pan level, then little fluid will come out except at the rear, a "known" spot to put your pan. Of course, I have a bunch of pans 24" x 36" x 2" so I can't miss!

For a trans jack, I recommend the $100 one from Harbor Freight. I finally bought one, after all these years, because I had to do a trans removal at a JY and wanted it to go as easily as possible. However, I have found all kinds of other uses for that trans jack; a good GP tool.
Thanks for that recommendation, Bill. I will take a look at it. I just update where I am on this job right now in my reply to NIck.
Yes, 4L60E. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote what I did.

Last edited:

Boomer

Thanks for that recommendation, Bill. I will take a look at it. I just update where I am on this job right now in my reply to NIck.
Yes, 4L60E. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote what I did.
Well, I changed the A and B solenoids. New filter. Refilled with 2 bottles of Lucas Trans fix and Dexron III. Transmission slipping badly. If I accelerate slow. It will shift ok to about 30 mph. Once I start trying to go faster, the RPM's just shoot up. I had it up around 50 and the RPM were about 3700. Not good. I'm thinking it isn't something simple. There are no codes. I know this trans has a couple of more solenoids but, the original code pointed to shift solenoid A. With this mileage and probably never been serviced, it seems like bad signs to me. What would you guys recommend my next step to be?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Check line-pressure with a gauge and remove the VB to do air-checks of the clutches/bands.

Let's wait for BP (trans expert) to chime in. If he doesn't post tomorrow, I will summon him by PM.

Boomer

Check line-pressure with a gauge and remove the VB to do air-checks of the clutches/bands.

Let's wait for BP (trans expert) to chime in. If he doesn't post tomorrow, I will summon him by PM.
Thanks Bill. I'm not sure how to do any of what you just said. I'll have to google it. I am a novice on transmissions.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I was ignoring the P0751 code when I made those suggestions. The wiring/connectors need to be checked out first. Again, let's wait for BP to join in. I will summon him now.