P1698 No CCD Bus Messages Received, Instr Cluster Not Functioning '98 Chrysler Minivan

Mealticket

Make
Plymouth
Model
Voyager
Year
Miles
Engine
All - hoping someone has been through this because there's some moving pieces involved. 1998 Plymouth Voyager, base model with manual windows, no ABS, no tach. P1698 code and non-functioning instrument cluster, including no odometer readout. Cluster issue was intermittent but is now fulltime. Code P1698, no CCD messages received from TCM. If I go to the scan section of my scanner it will show me P1695, no messages received from BCM...but that P1695 doesn't throw the light on. I have tried multiple clusters, and I see from the diagram that there are no separate wires for the cluster gauges, just power, grounds, and the CCD wires. So that means all the info for the gauges is coming thru the CCD bus. Unplugging the climate control module seems to keep the CEL out, but doesn't solve the rest of it.

Originally when we bought this thing the CEL was on, and I noticed that someone had put a non-matching climate control module in it; the plugs are color coded, and they didn't match, plus there is a key way tab to keep this from happening, but the previous owner had cut it out so that they could install a module with blue connector instead of the white one that the vehicle uses. Got a used white one and that worked for a while but the issue never fully resolved. Now, the latest fun is that I am trying to get OBD monitors to run so I can smog this, but something is off here too. Last week simulating driving with front wheels off ground, I was surprised when O2 heater and EVAP monitors both ran quickly and easily, but then I found that the cooling fans were not working. In my brilliance I disconnected the fan relay and jumpered it, not realizing that this would set a code for the relay. So had to clear codes which of course reset the monitors.

Okay, so I diagnosed the fan problem as a bad relay and got one at the junkyard, so fans work. But now when I go try to run monitors again the O2 heater runs quickly, which is good because that one is usually stubborn on these, but not only can I not get the EVAP to run again, I can't even get the easier ones like O2 sensor or EGR to run. I am totally flummoxed because I really don't want to run down this CCD bus problem until I make sure this passes smog, and no matter what I do I cannot get any more monitors to run. I've done more of these accelerated monitor driving cycles than I care to admit but this one is somehow different.

On that CCD thing, I cannot find any shorts or opens in the wiring, I have disconnected one module at a time and nothing makes the cluster work. My feeling is that it's probably the BCM because if it was one of the other modules I would have expected the cluster to work when I uplugged the bad module. Of course I can't pinpoint the BCM the same way. I don't believe you can simply grab a BCM from a yard and expect it to work right, because it stores VIN and odometer info. I do not have an oscilliscope which I think you need on these bus systems. At this point I'm considering just grabbing a used BCM and seeing if it at least lets the cluster work, even if it has to come back out again so that I can send out the original one for repair. I don't do dealerships so that's out. If anybody knows direction I could take I would appreciate it. Thanks,

A quick look to assist you I was asked what is the 8th charactor of the VIN - engine trans. G or R etc.

As for EVAP codes - ECT as well fuel level may be a precondition

As for the p1695 you are aware NOT all codes will command CEL on?

Chrysler has a hail mary for BCM issues, .
1) remove the IOD fuse.
2) removing the battery cable for a few minutes.

before worrying about BCM or TCM bus system wave form I would confirm wires are good- not open grounded etc.

Mealticket

8th character of VIN is R, 3.3 V6. Yeah, I thought EVAP wouldn't run again because I had used some gas but I put several gallons in and still no joy. My only point on P1695 not throwing the CEL on was that I had to go to the scan section of the scanner to see it, not the usual OBD section. I wondered if that code might be more conclusive, since the two codes point to different modules. I haven't tried the IOD thing but I will. The battery has been disconnected several times though. I have checked for opens or shorts and nothing there,

MT

grcauto

How are you checking for opens and shorts? I have the info on your vehicle but I'm not sure what all you have. What do you need?

Mealticket

I used the FSM wiring diagram and checked continuity between modules. Then I unplugged all the modules and tested for continuity to ground, and found none. Also testing pins 3 & 11 at the DLC, I got 60 ohms with both terminating resistor modules connected, then disconnected the instrument cluster and got 120 ohms.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Try this, instead of ohming, volt check the dlc connector at pins 3 and 11. 3 being ccd + and 11 -. CCD should be 2.5v there. If you have a module failure, it will probably higher. If so, discconect each module on CCD network. TCM/BCM/PCM/Radio and more etc. Anyway, here is a wiring of data lines and modules you have on this base van.

Normally, I think it should be 2,5volts. Anything above is suspect. Monitor voltage and disconnect each module until you see voltage drop to 2.5v. Last one to bring down voltage is the suspect.

Hint, since the clusters are an known issue on these, and you state yourself it was work, or sporadically so and is now officially not reading out mileage etc, start there. ;)

Let me know if that worked. I think you have wiring, but thought I would include it for others to see.

Attachments

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Also, regarding you last comment, it just probably confirms what you already suspect, and I also. So doing the voltage check also in conjunction with ohming, should confirm wiring integrity and module failure.

Thx for this very nicely written post, it showed you took time to ponder, research and follow directions. :cool:

Mealticket

Thanks for the ideas and kind words, nickb2. I don't have any experience on these data bus systems. I'll run that voltage test at the DLC and advise back,

MT

grcauto

Bus problems can be difficult without some way to monitor the data lines.
Did you go through the flow chart? Need a decent scan tool.

Attachments

this pins it down a little -

P1698 (3.3L V6 VIN R Auto)
No CCD Messages Received From The TCM

Have you checked the TCM to PCM SCI circuit?

Mealticket

Hmm...checked those circuits listed in the procedure, and CCD lines, but not the SCI line. Guess I should. Thanks,

MT

Mealticket

Ok, good continuity on the SCI circuit between TCM and ECU, and no short to ground. Looked for a BCM today at the local Pick 'N Pull yard but the only manual window/door lock vehicle didn't have the same P/N and it had a 4 cyl in it so that might be why. Have to look at other yards next week, and I'll advise what winds up happening on this,

MT