P1698 No CCD Bus Messages Received, Instr Cluster Not Functioning '98 Chrysler Minivan

Mealticket

Did the voltage tests at the DLC per Nickb2's recommend, and got like .45 to .50 at both 3 & 11, then with BCM disconnected, I got like .80 to 1.1. This was with ECU connected. Disconnecting other modules didn't cause the .50. So I don't know why these seem to be like 1/2 of the 2.5V voltage expected, but I tested my voltmeter at the battery and got 12V, so it's not a wrong setting on the voltmeter. So because I get a different result with BCM disconnected, I believe this further makes the case for bad BCM. Thanks to all, and I'll see what a boneyard BCM does,

MT

Mealticket

Disconnecting ICM didn't change it, plus I tried the other cluster I have. No change.

MT

Mealticket

To clarify, voltage was around 1 with cluster connected or not, with BCM disconnected. ECU was always plugged in during these tests, so a terminating resistor was in the circuit.

D.

Mealticket

The battery is new, plus I charged it for two hours when I brought it home until my charger showed full charge. Re: BCM, I think I may have a chance if I get a used on as long as the P/N matches. When you say J2534 time, do you mean some kind of pass-through device to program it? I have not been down that road before. I am hoping that if I get the right P/N BCM, the downside will just be that it'll show whatever mileage the donor had? Hey, do you think I can switch to a cluster with a tach? My vehicle uses the red plug at the cluster and I came across one with tach and red connector so I grabbed it. Most with red connector are no tach. Thanks,

MT

grcauto

Does the scan tool communicate with the BCM?
J2534 is a pass-through device for programming. I'm pretty sure the new BCM will need the mileage and key to the theft module programmed in.

Mealticket

I don't know if my scanner is reading anything but the ECM, but if I go to scan instead of OBD, I see the P1695, no messages from BCM. The P1698 shows under the normal OBD. This is a base model Voyager and I don't think it has any security features needing programming.

MT

Mealticket

Bingo! Checked a Pick 'N Pull about an hours' drive from here this am, and they had two BCMs with my P/N. Pulled the one out of a base model '98 identical to mine, plugged it in, and all is good. It even runs the tach. I kind of thought it would, because the donor had a tach with red connector.Even the mileage is close to what we think the van has. All gauges work. I suspect the codes will go away. Now need to run OBD monitors and smog it. Thanks to all who helped with process of elimination. Without proper tools, this was the route I had to go.

MT