P1698 No CCD Bus Messages Received, Instr Cluster Not Functioning '98 Chrysler Minivan

grcauto

Bingo! Checked a Pick 'N Pull about an hours' drive from here this am, and they had two BCMs with my P/N. Pulled the one out of a base model '98 identical to mine, plugged it in, and all is good. It even runs the tach. I kind of thought it would, because the donor had a tach with red connector.Even the mileage is close to what we think the van has. All gauges work. I suspect the codes will go away. Now need to run OBD monitors and smog it. Thanks to all who helped with process of elimination. Without proper tools, this was the route I had to go.
MT
That's great. I'm not surprised it worked. Seen many times these early OBDII modules are supposed to be programmed and yet they work fine as P&P.

Yeah, so I guess unless the system looks and decides the VIN in the BCM doesn't match, I should be good. I assume the VIN is stored there? I don't think I've ever seen this clearly documented, more like 'tribal knowledge'. Like 'you will have to program that. You know that, right?' Well, I don't know if I do know that...and if the VIN is now a mismatch, what exactly would happen? I would assume Gen III and Gen IV would be different in this regard. Thanks,

MT

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This is one of those threads where it could have gone either way.

You got lucky. If ever you want to invest, there are real cheap options out there for j2534 protocol. Remember, this is my day job when I am actually at work, almost lost my sister yesterday due to another internal hemorrhaging, they are installing a "shunt" as I type these words on my sister.

Perspective...I remember buying a '96 Caravan with a bad tranny from a kid and his mom. Poor guy was driving over the Bay Bridge for kidney dialysis, and the mom was about to donate one of her kidneys to him. He just really needed that tranny to go out on top of everything else. They even towed it on their AAA for me, about 30 miles.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Off topic, again, as usual.

But this site just begs for me to say something.

You probably don't know, but I am a sort of pc enthusiast. That in essence means I buy stuff for pc that I don't need, and probably will never push the limits of thereof.

Threads such as this, just want/beg for me to reply over and over again.

If ever your interested, I have an autoboss scanner that is up to date as of 2012. If ever your interested, just pay shipping to usa, I gift it to you, if you want. On the other hand, your probably better of going the route I espouse/talk so much about, using china for us.

In your case, I thought maybe the bcm would not wave to the PCM, but since it was a very base model soccer mom van, it was dicey. But if the local pick and pull didn't #match for your van, then, you would have needed a DRB clone of sorts to get the job done.

I see you are 46, I am 44. So we both remember big wheels and how to trick a bike.

The older I get in this trade, the more I get pissed off at all the loop de loops you encounter when you simply want to fix a car/truck like back in the day.

Example. The other day, when I was actually working and not horrifying about my sis, like today. I was confronted with a work order through a fleet call.

Apprentice said no current to low beam. First off, who in their right mind makes a 3500hd truck with only two cheap engine options?

So, this RAM promaster 3500hd truck has a 3.6l option. That is the biggest bright idea I have ever heard of.

The other option, a 3.0l fiat engine. It is all FIAT by design, and literally stinks to high heaven of never reaching 200k km's without some sort of major overhaul. When you drive a truck like this, it remonds me of the ford tempo automatic. Damn thing would rev to high heaven cuz some one said we will cross platform this and save money. Look what happened to chrysler and my past good paying job.

Mind you, this thread is not lost. 3.0l engines where delivered by mistubishi for the dodge caravan up till the early 2000's. And now you speak of trans issues with a 96. They effing put that tranny in every thing chrysler was pumping out. It was basically horrible.

Sure, lots of tranny shops were making a killing, but as an end user, do you want to buy one of those? No.

So back to head light shyte on promaster "semi" truck.

High beam h7 light was burnt, apprentice checked low beam, said no current. Major plastic job, looks like a lego thing I could have took apart when I was six. In 81. Star wars comes to mind.

SO, take apart flaps that cover this seal beam unit, they/chrylser call it a module. Low beam had power, when given a separate ground. High beam also had power when given a separate ground. Conclusion, some a hole designed the headlight module to dump ground when one of the h7 light bulb goes out. Then need a high end scanner to reset body code for a open slash short to ground, when they put the damn thing in series. Major design fla that would have killed any apprentice.

Ridiculous, and if Lee Iaccoca was still alive .

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I could go on and on on stuff like this, cuz this is my day job.

On a funny note, my GF is doing nights now to help the elderly. We don't see each other anymore, different shift, but my BJ in between shifts was nice. Jokes aside,

So she nows gets my jokes. Why are diapers named differently?

Pampers and huggies are for kids, and DEPENDS are for old grown arse adult.

Reason, marketing. Cuz the last time I checked, pamper, huggy and depend are all based on same model, but marketing forgot old ppl also shyte thier pants also at the most importune moments, but it DEPENDS on when they get changed. :eek:

I think that was a dabunk knock off. Yes, I still read dabunk. :D

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So, if a low beam or high beam gives out, any apprentice will call a headlamp module at the very nice fiat price, when in fact, some idiot decided to share ground to save bean counter money. Talk to the other nick if you don't like getting old/