Toyota
Model
Venza
Year
Miles
Engine
3.5 liter, 6 cylinder
Hi,

I have a 2009 Toyota Venza, 3.5 liter, 6 cylinders, 170,000 miles. My mechanic replaced the alternator and the battery. They had to remove and reinstall the radiator to do the job. I picked up the car from my mechanic and about 1 hour later the cel came on and I got a code P2197 (O2 sensor signal, biased/stuck lean, Bank 2, Sensor 1). I cleared the code and drove it about 2 hours before the cel came back. It was the same code (P2197). I cleared it again and it came back again about 2 hours later. The engine is not running rough and I’ve watched the data stream on my cheap scanner for a few minutes and it showed that it was passing after I cleared the code. Fuel consumption seems normal and my engine temperature gauge is normal.

Is it OK for me to keep driving it like this for a few more days, or do I need to park it ASAP?

What are the most likely causes in this case?

What are some of the most simple fixes?

If this is occurring because I had the alternator and battery replaced, what is the most likely cause?

Thank you very much!

billr

wrench
Staff member
I think you will be OK to drive it. Generally, the CEL will flash on-off repeatedly if there is a problem serious enough to soon cause damage.

Most likely a cable to the O2 sensor was unknowingly disturbed, or not reconnected properly, when the work was done. Having to remove the radiator to change the alt suggests that access/visibility is very poor. It would have been fairly easy to overlook a cable that had been jostled; and maybe even hard to tell if you had reconnected it properly

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I picked up the car from my mechanic and about 1 hour later the cel came on and I got a code P2197 (O2 sensor signal, biased/stuck lean, Bank 2, Sensor 1).
first off, STOP CLEARING THE CODES.

You are erasing valuable freeze frame data.

I cleared the code and drove it about 2 hours before the cel came back. It was the same code (P2197). I cleared it again and it came back again about 2 hours later.
You are working against your tech working your job.

If that makes sense to you, check out mode 6

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Once it codes again, take your cheap scanner thing of a ma jig, post freeze frames. OBD2 has a mode six option, where a tech like me NEEDS this data to recreate the situation, again, don't clear, we need data.

grcauto

wrench
You can drive it. I think it's a coincidence as to the repair.
Do you have a scan tool or just a code reader? Were you on a trip that took 6 hours? How did you arrive at your 2 hours of driving?