pictures from work

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
We had this gem of a matrix rx 4x4. Rare model.

1.8l engine blew. Very rare.

But when I took the head off, was not expecting this at all. And engine still ran enough to take it in and out of shop a few times. But sure did smoke up the shop. -25c weather all doors open style smoke. :eek:

Here are the pics, Where did cylinder # 1 go you might ask. We think some of it went into the universe, the rest is in the pan. ow, the cylinder wall is hardly scratched. These toy jobs, wow is all I can say.

Not one guy at work including me, has ever seen a toy engine blow this way. It ate the #1 piston and just farted smoke. Still ran. Oh and two valves also

So, here are the pics I could take without whipping out the bore scope. IMG_20210218_075845608[1].jpgIMG_20210218_080023847[1].jpgIMG_20210218_075919956[1].jpg:p:giveup:

billr

wrench
Staff member
I drove home a Model A Ford with the crank broken into two pieces, and a Triumph 650cc motorcycle after scooping up piston parts that had blown through the case; put 'em in my pocket and kept going. Both ran fine, the A crank broke though a rod journal and the rod kept the two pieces kind of together (rod bearing was very chewed, though!). The bike piston broke the pin and half of what was blow it, but the compression rings were still functional, so no power loss. Oh, and a Corvair where the diff spider gears broke into very small pieces. The pieces tended to jam the side gears so I could keep moving. Sometimes it would slip, but a little bit of revving and a chunk would fall back into place to drive the axles again. One more: an old Ford PU that blew the cluster gear and all the lower case out the bottom. High was still there, direct drive from the input to output shaft.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
and a Triumph 650cc motorcycle after scooping up piston parts that had blown through the case; put 'em in my pocket and kept going
This one resonates.

My father, who you will shortly know in depth, drove a 650 1968ish triumph from quebec to vancouver with his bro, obviously, my uncle, and made it back. No engine pieces in pocket, but bike sure needed a tune, so says he. They slept on side of highways back then in roll up tent and had fun. That was before I was born.

Good to know our elders had fun.

Maybe even more than the next gen that came along.

Corvairs, model A and stuff, corvettes, and bullits.

Shyster, I wish sometimes I would have been born in the 50s, just to drive those first shining muscle cars.

;) :D :beer: :bat:

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
None of those incidents got my attention like a single-engine aircraft I took for its first flight after a cylinder was replaced. After about one hour there was a distinct "hot" smell coming through the firewall and the oil temp headed up into the red zone.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
None of those incidents got my attention like a single-engine aircraft I took for its first flight after a cylinder was replaced. After about one hour there was a distinct "hot" smell coming through the firewall and the oil temp headed up into the red zone.
Houston, we have a problem