Gm 1.4L, 1.6L, 1.8L maybe more...
Model
GM
Year
'08 to present
Miles
Engine
1.8L
Have any of you professional mechanics had issues with aftermarket plastic valve covers ( ok, maybe it's actually a cam cover) that include the PCV valve ? Gm 1.4L, 1.6L, 1.8L.
I recently replaced a factory cover on an '08 Saturn Astra 1.8L n/a with an aftermarket part.. The problem was a small oil leak, PCV system was working normally.
Many online comments that I have read about this issue seem to go unresolved. Many of the comments have to do with leaky vacuum, drivability, continued oil leaks, cel being set.
Any experiential advice?

Plastic - we all esp the old farts like me hate on principle. The other manufacturers have used them for years.
Installation is not as forgiving as the just tighten it more metal we all know. - Clean, quality gasket and torque are critical.

Now please remind me WHY yu changed cover - there was an issue you were chasing I cant remember...

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The other day, car came in. GM 1.8l I think, pcv diagram. Sadly, you have to buy a new valve cover. On the astra, it is same principle, they share same engine design.

German engineered vacuum leak.

GM Guy

Plastic - we all esp the old farts like me hate on principle. The other manufacturers have used them for years.
Installation is not as forgiving as the just tighten it more metal we all know. - Clean, quality gasket and torque are critical.

Now please remind me WHY yu changed cover - there was an issue you were chasing I cant remember...
I replaced it to repair a small oil leak onto the exhaust manifold.

I was following along and checked TSB's and info-

Will add as it has torque and a comment on sealant - maybe some clue or help IDK - I looked.

Attachments

On a 2010 Cruze I had, would even set a code if either the camshaft or valve plastic cover leaked. Part of the PCV system. Wasn't the end of the world, new one including some 18 screws and the gasket was 39 bucks and about a 30 minute job. What I really like to pick on is a plastic intake manifold on a V-6 or 8, jammed between two heads with different coefficients of expansion and antifreeze gets into the oil with one heck of a mess to clean up. Can even seize the engine.

GM Guy

Thanks, Kev2! I failed to see the sealant on the original center bolt. The replacement cover comes with bolts with no thread sealant.
I'm going to add that and see if that helps.

GM Guy

On a 2010 Cruze I had, would even set a code if either the camshaft or valve plastic cover leaked. Part of the PCV system. Wasn't the end of the world, new one including some 18 screws and the gasket was 39 bucks and about a 30 minute job. What I really like to pick on is a plastic intake manifold on a V-6 or 8, jammed between two heads with different coefficients of expansion and antifreeze gets into the oil with one heck of a mess to clean up. Can even seize the engine.
NickD, Where did/do you buy the cam covers from for $39 ? A replacement GM cover is over $100, after market is $60-$80.

Swore I posted on this question with links to ebay, many dealers on there now trying to sell OEM parts, found several for $35.00 with the gasket, new bolts, free shipping for $35.00..

GM Guy

Swore I posted on this question with links to ebay, many dealers on there now trying to sell OEM parts, found several for $35.00 with the gasket, new bolts, free shipping for $35.00..
Ok, thanks!

Nobody can give better prices than a dealer, manufactures by parts by the millions and until 2008, always got my best prices from dealers in town. That sure changed with that crash. Another huge expense our GM dealers had was extensive enforced building modifications that also increased their property taxes to keep GM happy. One close friend for 40 years, just went into used vehicles, screw you GM. So now you have to search to get "fair" prices.