PO 316 and PO305 codes 2003 Lincoln Town Car

NickD

wrench
Weird, found Autolite to be the best plugs, iridium's are only four bucks each and last forever, but do have to be properly gaped, twice you age Nick II, does that equate to twice the experience.

Miss my older RWD cars with positraction, never saw a FWD with the feature and instead of being a two wheel drive, one wheel drive is more like it. If memory serves me right with a V-8 GM #1 plug was on the left hand side, Ford on the right hand side, if wrong, fire me on RWD cars.

On an 89 Continental, alternator had to be removed first with that stupid single belt drive, only about an inch clearance to the inner fender to put that belt back on and somehow have to be under the hood and under the car at the same time to replace that belt.

Kid's Chrysler dealer wants 370 bucks to replace six spark plugs. Test the center electrode to where the plug goes on with an ohmmeter, should read 8,000 ohms, if infinity, your spark will be across a burnt carbon resistor and not by the gap. 0.025" is the ideal gap. Use to design these things, got millions of 40,000 volt shocks, still alive, but the current is only 0.001 amperes, won't kill you, but will wake you up.

On old trick to find a missing cylinder is to pull the spark plug insulator back and short out the plug with your thumb, if the rpm drops, plug is good, if not, that is the misfiring cylinder, don't need all that fancy electronic crap.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Ha...NickD...how about I pull the spark plug insulator back and short out the plug with YOUR thumb? Then I can judge spark strength by watching how far your eyeballs pop out! Let's do it first thing in the morning so that you can save some money. You will be wide awake without spending a dollar for coffee.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Second the opinion on Autolite. I don't really know if they are any good now, but I stopped using them 50 years ago because of poor life.

Also a second on using the ATF (Dex3 type). That stuff migrates everywhere if you give it a little time. I have heard of mixing it with acetone, paint-thinner, etc. but always just use it straight. I also hear good things about PB Blaster, I think it has phosphoric acid in it (like naval jelly) that dissolves rust. WD-40 is useless for this purpose, don't bother with that!

PS: gap plugs to specs for the engine or to .039" (1mm) if specs not available

Carl59

Thank you all for the replies. Will swap out coil and let you know how it turns out.
Just as a reference, what plugs and coils would you recommend on this car? I tend to go with the factory whenever possible, (in this case , a Motorcraft coil, but have heard there are a lot of counterfeits out there with the motorcraft label???)
What and where would I buy these parts from?
I've Read some amazon reviews, some say the different coil brands don't last too long, are counterfeit, etc.etc. not sure who to believe

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Weird, found Autolite to be the best plugs, iridium's are only four bucks each and last forever, but do have to be properly gaped, twice you age Nick II, does that equate to twice the experience.
no, I can never equate cuz I know knowledge is this..

I just hang around to read you.

You are quick with a joke.

I smile every time I read you.

NickD

wrench
1607299071604.png

See the Made in USA on this plug! Can say the same thing about NGK plugs, had a ceramic seal leak blowing out the spark. Was making a tool for SnapOn back in the 60's that electronically shorted out each plug if you don't like using your thumb, but was taken off the market in 1972 with the newly formed EPA demanding all vehicles have that catalytic converter, where killing a spark for a few revs could burn out your cat.

So what happens if you are driving today with a misfire? Worse thing back then was buy gas from the Arabs with a high sulfur content killing people with sulfuric acid out of the exhaust.

Another bad joke is using our food to power our SUV's, ethanol does not mix with gas, is heavier and settles to the bottom of the tank where its consumed first leaving you with 80 octane gas. Done by idiots running or ruining our country. And with many gas stations all you get is 80 octane fuel.

Practically all parts were rebuildable today all are throwaway, newest and largest throwaway is the entire unibody, call this progress. Could rebuild a fuel pump for a buck in less than 20 minutes and reason putting this piece of crap fuel pump in the tank is if you ran it in open air, would burn up in two seconds, and want both arms and legs for a replacement. List goes on and on and on.

1949 was the year Detroit invented rust, quit using 0.5% of nickel in the steel.

Mobile Dan

wrench
[QUOTE="nickb2, post: 115059, member: 5368"

[/QUOTE]
Excellent version of the Floyd solo!

billr

wrench
Staff member
I don't even have sound on my laptop, but still like that video...