PO101 Mass air flow.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Don't bother trying to read the MAF signal frequency, since it seems to be "healed" now. If you will post the MAF, MAP, IAT, and rpm (all from same running condition) I will check the calcs again.

JackC

wrench
You may want to forget it for now.
Could just be some crazy glitch.
MAF is sensitive.
I had to replace 3 before I found one NOT from China. I was able to talk to the engineer at the Co. that sold the China units and he agree that they were a problem and was looking for another source. After I finally got the original Hitachi made in Japan (which was the OEM for my 89 Buick) all was well.

The ones from china could not tolerate the heat of my exhaust manifold so I built a heat shield to protect my new Hatachi MAF just to be extra cautious. I may not have needed to do that, but it made me feel better and it has been fine for years.
My symptoms were not the same. I only mention this to reinforce the use of OEM and the possibility of a heat problem.

Boomer

Ok guys thanks. I'll see what happens the next few days.

Boomer

On the way to work this morning, the light came back on. On the way home, it went back off. I scanned the codes to make sure it wasn't something else. The only code was PO101. I'll keep monitoring it.

NickD

wrench
I am a believer in Seafoam, a can in a full tank every 3000 miles to clean up your pistons rings, also get a lot of carbon built up under the intake valve.

Talk about carbon in fuel, really not that much, most of it is hydrogen and when burnt is mixed with oxygen, OMG that is H2O where your PVC picks that up and deposits it in your air cleaner where it will dampen your MAF sensor causing codes.

You do want to minimize the blow by from your piston rings and carbon does built up. Also, only use top tier gas, in my neck of the woods care is needed where you buy gas, you may also be paying as much as $4.50 a gallon for ground water.

Had to jump on my kids about that, station only six blocks from us has water, use the one 9 blocks from here. but that 3 blocks longer. Well at least you won't be calling me in the middle of the night when stalled someplace.

MAF sensor in theory at least is only used during warm up, after that the O2 sensor takes over, engine is suppose to learn from the O2 sensor to control the MAF for proper air gas mixture during warmup.

This takes me back to the 90's when the EPA, they are complete idiots and not afraid to tell them this to their face, wanted us to electrically heat the catalytic converted to decrease warm up time, most O2 sensors are three wire with a heat up coil, but trying to heat up a catalytic converter would require a nuclear power plant, well maybe not that much.

So what they did to, least up here since it takes a minute or more to warm up an engine in cold weather, came out with winter gas, only needed for the first minute or two, but instead of 120K BTU with summer gas, 90K BTU for winter gas.

So instead of getting say, 50 mpg with summer gas, same trip is 37 mpg, so actually burning a lot more of this crap, but you can't explain logic to the EPA, bunch of idiots, actually a compliment, dealing with morons.