possible battery or alt problem

eddieguy

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:plymouth
MODEL:voyager
YEAR:2000
MILES:201000
ENGINE
:3.3
DESCRIBE ISSUE.... van cut in and out on me with malfunctioning lights and clicking noises today and then died; put hazzard lights on and then i could not turn them off when the vehicle died. someone tried to jump it with both portable battery and then with jumper cables and it would run until they were removed and then it would die again. the batttery was put in back in jan of 2011 so its a 5 yar old walmart battery. i have removed the battery so i could go have it benched tested this afternoon. a few years back i would have inconsistent start and no start problem with this vehicle and one auto parts store swore the battery was good but i replaced it and the problem didnt occur again until now. but this may be a slightly different problem. is there any chance its just the battery or am i looking at a more likely bad alt or even both. thanks for reply in advance. want to add that when i took the battery out i read 11.52 volts

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I would say that a battery or alt is not suspect at this point. If a voltmeter check shows close to 12 volts on battery, I would more suspect an intermittent ground or voltage regulator. If it won't stay alive after jumping, alt may be suspect. But on a 2000 voyager, you can check that by doing a bypass for the internal PCM regulator.

We have done a few threads here on how to bypass a PCM voltage regulator for mopars. Get the alt bench tested, if it delivers, internal volt reg/PCM, or wiring.

Here are few snapshots.

Screenshot (571).png Screenshot (572).png

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Trick is to use a old imperial, le baron or new yorker external regulator. Basically anything will work. I prefer the chrome ones. They don't rust out.

This is a notorious problem on these vans. Standard is a good quality company that makes them. Penny on a dollar. A PCM will set you back way more than a 30$ external standard regulator and will only cost a bit of wire and heat shrink tubing. Even an old dodge dakota will work.

Here is a link to the part you need in case you have not read the other threads here for the bypass. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Standard/Voltage_Regulator/SIVR125.html

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Another thing to really look at is the underneath of the PDC. Eddie, in case you don't know what PDC means, it is (power distribution center).

That also is a major problem on these vans. Wiggle test all fuse links and harness's and observe volt meter.

If after all those tests come back fine. just bypass the PCM. I can do that in 30 minutes so much I am used to this nonsense.

You can use a tried and trusted battery and if it still has symptoms, your back to square one. Don't get fooled into buying a new battery if that passes the cca test and the alt checks good. Alot of guy's get fooled with this one. BTW, standard has a 3 yr warranty on the part. No PCM reprogramming needed etc. In other words, you just basically fool the PCM into thinking it has a working voltage regulator.

;):idea::bat:

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Also, I prefer using loomex to preserve the wiring harness. My guy cuts it for 5 cents per foot. ;) But your doing alot of electrical work, buy the whole roll. It gives a nice clean OEM look and you look professional.

billr

wrench
Staff member
A dissenting opinion...

If it starts and runs as long as the jumper battery is connected, then I think the wiring is probably all OK. Since it won't run off the alternator alone, then there is something wrong in there, and the battery has been killed by repeated under-charging (along with age). That 11.52 V would be fine when under a heavy load, like cranking, but with no load it indicates a severe discharge or bad cell. Got a Costco nearby? I have had very good luck with the Interstate batteries they sell.

eddieguy

Another thing to really look at is the underneath of the PDC. Eddie, in case you don't know what PDC means, it is (power distribution center).

That also is a major problem on these vans. Wiggle test all fuse links and harness's and observe volt meter.

If after all those tests come back fine. just bypass the PCM. I can do that in 30 minutes so much I am used to this nonsense.

You can use a tried and trusted battery and if it still has symptoms, your back to square one. Don't get fooled into buying a new battery if that passes the cca test and the alt checks good. Alot of guy's get fooled with this one. BTW, standard has a 3 yr warranty on the part. No PCM reprogramming needed etc. In other words, you just basically fool the PCM into thinking it has a working voltage regulator.

ss;):idea::bat:
so far i have had the alt and battery bench tested at a local auto parts store and the little print out they gave me says they are good and pass. i know of the PCM but did not know of the PDC so i am reading what you have posted on the external voltage regulator PCM and PDM to see if i understand right. i also tried a good working battery from another car and the little battery light on dash lit up right away as it had done before when i started engine. put my own volt meter on both my fully charged battery and another good working battery and results showed that in both cases 12 plus volts before starting but there was a little less voltage after starting engine instead of the rise you would see if it was charging right . after the parts store put a charge on my battery it started and ran enough to get me home (trip was only a mile or so) i did not continue to let it run and maybe i should have seen how long it would run. since i seen the battery icon light up on the dash i turned ign off

If all wires are OK, your PCM is the most likely suspect now. You need to locate the wire between ALT and PCM and ground it. If the ALT begins to charge, wires are OK, PCM is bad. The wire you just found will be one of the wires you need to use if you decide to install an external regulator as previously suggested.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Be sure to check for alt output right at the stud on it, don't rely on a reading at the dash or even battery terminals. The alt and PCM may be fine, just a blown "fusible link" between the alt and the rest of the world...

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I remember doing this in my sleep so much I was sick of it. Tow truck sound reversing, oh yeah, here's another one. Bruno, any PCM's left in stock, nope, damn! Any external regs left in stock, yeah, we stocked up on those. Some of us guy's shared a known good PCM, yup, charging at 14v, another shot PCM. I felt like when I was back at 15yrs old when I worked big macs on the grill at Mc Donalds. Same shyte over and over again.

LOL!! Funny story, my sister worked at the front counter and would call out to a Mc grill on 4 in the microphone, that was code for hot chick on 4. My sister and I would walk home and laugh at our 5$ paycheck. We couldn't afford the bus fare, It was funny and disconcerting at the same time. Good times, working with my sister was funny. Off topic, I know, but Mc donalds had a policy, you can't eat the burgers you throw away, so as usual, the guy's in the back had a eating contest on who could eat the most thrown out cheeseburgers. I got to six, one guy got to 14. :eek:

Anyway, it was good food, why throw it away? Then you wonder why there are so many seagulls at a Mc D. A piece of alcaselzer in a french fry will give a good laugh. They drop out of the sky like a rock. Then they told us we couldn't do that anymore, I said why? They are certainly not on the endangered species list here!! They are/were a nuisance shytting everywhere. I remember getting shat on lugging perfectly good burgers to the garbage bin 3 times, the bin was only 16 feet away. Funny, their not there when it's - 30c!! Smart creatures, they fly south. But the french fry trick works way better than a BB gun.

Ok, enough of my foolishness and old bad habits.

@billr, I hope you don't take my last notorious comment as an insult. Different environments create different problems. I know your an engineer, and I damned you guy's alot. But I was the one fixing. It got to a point where I made my peace with the engineers. Constant evolving industry.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The older I get the more I sound like the old geezer I didn't want to be. Ironic, those birds fly south and know instinctively. Give me wings, I would be in Puerto valarta tomorrow or maybe Cancun and still have time to shyte on a few ppl!:D

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I found a good link, I think it is korean, but the cook book IS in english. The recipes are very good. Check it out and savor. I tried the wellington, very good, 99 more recipes to go and I may be a future top chef. LOL!! This was a shout out to all the guy's trying to impress their women. It is valentines day after all. I found a heart shaped chocolate on the floor, it was wrapped, I picked it up and gave it to my GF. She told me last night that she still has it in her pocket. Funny. One I am going to try tonight is the creme souffle, only thing is I could not find any truffles. I may get lucky,;):D So I may cheap out and just go with a box of chocolates.

I have seen a few shows of this guy Gordon ramsey, he might seem like an ass on tv, but his technique is spot on in my book.

http://yun.baidu.com/share/link?uk=370952669&shareid=4229483955&third=0&adapt=pc&fr=ftw

Good luck guy's tonight, we all deserve a break on valentines, but we must also remember the women behind us.

Last edited: