Make
Chevy
Model
Equinox
Year
Miles
Engine
2.4 L 4-cylinder
Hello. I am noticing on my Chevy Equinox 2015 that when slowing down I can feel the transmission down shift, particularly at 15mp and then around 10mph. I am getting paranoid that this may be the start of transmission problems. The car has 100k miles. I brought it to a mechanic who said he noticed it but didn't think it was much and said to wait if it gets worse then take it to a transmission shop- also said it could be lose transmission bolts since the car was older. I know it's probably impossible to figure out what it is, but was wondering based on the symptoms, if possible causes are more likely than others. Here are the symptoms:

Feel shift when down shifting, multiple gears- not a very hard shift as passengers usually don't notice it - although some have
Do not feel it when accelerating
Not noticeable when engine is cold, usually after driving for a little while
Doesn't always happen when downshifting- but notice it daily
Mechanic didn't check the transmission fluid- not sure if it could be low? Did have a transmission fluid flush probably 1-2 years ago
Consistently occurring for a few months

Again, probably could be a million reasons as to what's going on, and I probably will need to take it a transmission place, especially if it starts getting worse. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

JackC

wrench
Neither you or your mechanic have checked the transmission fluid yet? Seems that step should have been done way prior to writing here at this site.

MikeD2020

No. I researched, and it isn't just a dip stick. I did ask my mechanic, but for some reason he didn't do it- or thought it needed to be done. I guess I will take it somewhere else and ask to check the fluid

grcauto

There is no 'dipstick' on that. Reset the adaptives and see what it does.

bp042665

hunting nut
you could have a valve sticking i would try a bottle of lube guard platinum additive i use this at my transmission shop

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK guys, I gotta ask... how does the OP check the fluid level? Is this one of those ridiculous processes where you have to "drain all and replace with full specified capacity"?

NickD

wrench
One objection I have with Chevy, two side plugs upper for fill and fluid level, lower for drain.

Objection is fluid level is to be checked when cold, if driven up on a ramp, engine is hot, transmission fluid expands, will flow out the top plug hole, when it cools down, the transmission fluid will be low.

Also filling from the side is a PITA, need a suction gun.

MikeD2020

Hi All,

I ended up taking it to a transmission place. He looked at it and said the fluid appeared to be burnt. I did have the fluid changed about 15k ago or so (that's if the one mechanic actually did that- I had a water pump replaced at the time and took him forever and then had issues with the alternator afterwards). He recommended replacing for $3600. I asked what about changing the fluid and seeing how that goes. He said I could but couldn't explain why it was burnt. I ended up replacing the fluid, as I didn't want to put in close to 4k into the car at this point. I will see how it goes, but wasn't thrilled he wanted to replace....

billr

wrench
Staff member
Try the Lube Gard that BP suggested. It is a "Hail Mary" play, but worth a try.

BP, "platinum" instead or "red", is that correct? I thought GM transmissions all took "red"

bp042665

hunting nut
yes bill but the platinum works better with the DEX VI Also the level check is on the driverside or left side just below the axle

NickD

wrench
What does this vehicle have for a transmission fluid cooler? Most just have a six in tube in the bottom of the radiator and not sure if that cools the fluid or heats it. Some vehicles from the factory require an additional cool mounted in front of the AC condenser if you have AC

Then how you drive, engine speed if high stopped in gear really generates a ton of heat in the torque converter. MT's don't have this problem, no torque converter. In heavy traffic, not helpless, when waiting all day for that traffic light to turn green, slip the AT into neutral.

Also the possibility of the coolant lines, most are 1/4" OD have a kink in them to restrict flow. Always a reason.