Make
Hyundai
Model
Accent
Year
Miles
Engine
4 cylinder.
So, tomorrow I’m crawling under my daughters car to get at the belt tensioner bolt on the alternator, which I replaced about a month ago. Thought I had it pretty snug, but the belt squeals when the steering wheel is turned hard in either direction.
Pulled it into my garage (which I finally got finished building!) tonite, and just for shits and giggles had her crank the wheel hard. Both the power steering belt and alternator belts stopped turning, thus the squeal. Alternator belt spins an accessory pulley, which drives the power steering belt. While I’m “hoping” it’s just a loose belt, I’ve got this funny feeling that maybe it’s the pump getting ready to go, and that’s causing the stopped belt issue. Car has 174,000 miles, and this is the original pump...

Mobile Dan

wrench
I have seen that problem many times with the 4 cyl Hyundia/Kia "piggyback" pwr str belt setup. Tightening up the Alt belt fixes it (almost) every time.

abrad

I have seen that problem many times with the 4 cyl Hyundia/Kia "piggyback" pwr str belt setup. Tightening up the Alt belt fixes it (almost) every time.
Thanks Dan. That’s pretty much what I figured (hoping!), but seeing that belt completely stop got me thinking of other potential issues.

abrad

So, after catching up on some much needed sleep, I went to work on the car. Turns out the bottom nut came loose - guessing I must not have tightened it enough:(. Put a new lock washer and nut on it, then decided I probably should have replaced the belt when I did the alternator, so a quick trip to the parts supply. Ironically, the new belt was made in china, and the old belt was from the USA! Put it all back together and now there’s no more squeal!!!

While typing this, I had to stop for a minute and watch the tree rat that decided it was a good idea to raid the bird feeder. He discovered my squirrel zapper was rather shocking! Actually managed to get it in video!