rjh1

Make
Hyundai
Model
Tucson
Year
Miles
Engine
08 Hyundai Tucson V-6 . . I have access to a Hub Tamer set . . Is it easier if the knuckle is totally removed and on the bench ? Also If the knuckle is removed will a alignment be necessary afterwards ? Even if the strut bolt positions are marked ? Thanks !

NickD

wrench
In all those years only had to replace one Timken tapered bearing because it came from the factory unlubricated. So what can I say about limited lubricated hub bearings. Claim they had to switch to these, because people don't know how to adjust tapered. Can can't count the people that said that have to be adjusted loose because they tighten when hot when it was exactly the opposite.

If anti-seize was used, wouldn't be a problem, all raw steel that rusts, first problem is removing the half axle, been able to remove the hub bearing without removing the yoke, but use to be one tough SOB, but kind of broken down now. If the strut bolts are off center could mark them only affects the camber, but most are just straight bolts. In regards to removing the yoke and taking it to a shop to have it pressed out, you don't know until you try.

Ha, also a good time to invent new cuss words. Used my acetylene torch to warm up the periphery of the yoke very very carefully. Hub bearings added to that already long list of throwaway parts.

NickD

wrench
Year ago my son's 2014 Chrysler T&C front hub bearings went out, his dealer wanted 900 bucks for the pair to replace them. Got by with 98.00 bucks buying the two front bearings from Amazon with free shipping. Took us a couple of hours. Did we save 400 bucks an hour?

rjh1

So this knuckle is going to have the ABS Sensor in ,, using the Hub Tamer set will the cones miss it ? Or should I try and remove it ??

billr

wrench
Staff member
That "hub tamer" is a tool-set for R & R of bearings, correct? The use and success of that will depend on your skill and ingenuity in selecting the correct adapters; maybe even making some for special cases. Generally, I think the ABS tone ring can stay in place on the hub, but I would remove the ABS sensor. If you post pictures we may be able to advise better; and you may get lucky and somebody will post who is familiar with this specific type vehicle and your hub tamer set. What specific brand is the set? "Hub tamer" seems to be kind of a generic name now.

NickD

wrench
ABS sensor just fits in a hole someplace held in with one screw and can be removed and set aside both front and rear.

1604704961001.png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Time to chime in, if he has the tamer, otc, there is a book in there with all the dies needed for the bearing in question.

If not, some arsehole at work wiped his arse with the die guide, here is a link so you dont break a abs sensor, guide will even show which side the circlip is.

link below

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Is it easier if the knuckle is totally removed and on the bench ?
As for this question, did the circlips bust? If yes, best remove and remove the rest of offending clip before using tamer kit, as you will destroy the dies if ther is still some of that clip left.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Also If the knuckle is removed will a alignment be necessary afterwards ?
Yes. because three axes of point have been removed. That wheel side is going to show on a tire. So I would sure book a wheel rack apoint after that wheel bearing tamer. Once you get to know the kit, it makes sense. ;)