Miles
200ish
Engine
5.0l HO vin "T"
Hello guys and gals.

Been a awhile, busy lately.

But still have projects on the go.

So, here it is.

Since I Live in northern parts, quebec canada to be precise, I aquirred a project. The mustang cars are getting pretty rare up here, found this one in lachine, montreal.

Cost of vehicle, 2500$, delivered to my garage.

Body is not A1, but very good for up north, has borla exhaust and locked differential.

Cannot find a block for it up here. Even a long block seems to be elusive. Found one down in southern ontario, but with high miles.

In trunk, found 30 over piston and rods, but feel the OEM block is so toast, this will go way over budget.

So I was looking on line for options, but seem very limited.

Anybody have any ideas. Should I bite the bullet and buy a reman short block and pay heavy shipping fees, or rebuild it my self.

Crank shaft probably needs machining, wont know till I have stripped it down.

My last gt was an 84 t top 40 over bore. In a fox body carb and all that. This engine is different, but not much, besides being EFI.

So, since I am late to game, I know if I over bore, cam needs to follow, how far can I go.

But mostly, I want some links and tips on where you source your mustang parts in USA, cuz up here, not much going on.

Thx in advance for any replies.

Anik

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The 700$ kit comes with cam and rollers. But I am not sure of the kit. My last stang, I went through ford racing directly at my local dealership. That was a long time ago.

Now those options are all gone.

Up here at least.

You usa guys are lucky, still lots of stuff available. But shipping is killer.

My goal with car, just a friday night drag strip deal once in a while for street class, fun with the boys etc.

If all else fails, I will parts strip the car and still make money, but I really want to get it running without having to pay 8g's for a racing short block.

Again, all advice that is reasonable is welcome.

BTW, it is laser red hard top. And oh my gosh, automatic. :rolleyes:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Pulled plugs, doused with penetrating oil for a few days, tried to rock crank, no go, it is welded by feel and definitely not hydro locked or anything.

Also will need some links to random body parts such as emblems and hood scoops, etc, again, as wrote before, not a lot up here.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Of note, crank will turn barely with starter, so without my x ray vision, I am assuming a main bearing turned.

Cuz when I put breaker bar to crank, stone dead. Probably will have to pull engine with torque converter and make a royal mess. ;) :eek: :giveup:

billr

wrench
Staff member
I hate to sound mean here, but you are talking like you are a newbie; looking at it from the outside and wringing your hands in despair as you try to guess what is wrong and how to fix it. Why not just start pulling it apart, in place if need be, and find out what the real needs are? I don't know how much you can strip down the block "in the car" on that beast, but surely enough to turn the crank and get to the flex-plate/trans fasteners.

I am puzzled by your comment that the boring would also require cam changes. Is that because of the displacement increase? The displacement increase of a .030" bore is trivial, just a few cubic inches, not enough to warranted a change to anything in the intake system.

Obviously, I will be happy to help any way I can with your parts search. I trust you enough to buy here, or have shipped here, and then re-ship to you. Maybe if you can "accumulate" a batch of USA parts, and then ship in one lot, the cost won't be so bad.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I should clarify: when I say "buy here", that includes going to a P and P JY to scrounge for parts that can usually only be found in a JY. Soft parts, like fabric or plastic, that are exposed to sunlight don't fare well here, but there is little rust/corrosion of metal parts

grcauto

wrench
When I see him post like this I figure he may be inebriated. All these posts were in less than an hour or should I say 4 beers time. LOL

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I hate to sound mean here, but you are talking like you are a newbie; looking at it from the outside and wringing your hands in despair as you try to guess what is wrong and how to fix it. Why not just start pulling it apart, in place if need be,
Ouch, but normally, that means words ring true. And I thank you for saying as such.

Cuz that is how I felt at time of posting this. A newbie.

My best bet is to yes strip down in place.

Yes displacement

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
but surely enough to turn the crank and get to the flex-plate/trans fasteners.
Yes, it will turn with starter only. But it is hard cuz that is where you remove the flex plate bolts.

I think I may have to re do this thread, because this will mostly just be me posting progress on a project car.

Is this something this site wants or needs? IDK. I just figured I would give it some traffick with an actual build.

My goal is not to make it a 500hp beast, just a quick bracket car, 300ish hp or so. It has to be street legal.

I almost took offence, but my gf said maybe GRC was poking a bear. So I wont take offence, and will still continue to post.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The internet is an easy place to take ppl down without consequence.

Anyway, since my sister died in march of this year, I was looking for a rolling body fox or similar cuz I like the sound of these cars, and something to do to keep my mind kosher and focused. This is what I found and bought.

I am lucky to have a few skills, but I have not been on the scene for a while. Mostly trouble shooting at work and trying to study as much as I can for my work. Having a 94 to fuss with is a hoot to have, guys at work love it. But even they cant find parts.

BTW, @ bill, I am now a grand father by (alliance), figure that. New one is named angelique. We are trying to make a good space for her, time will tell. Anyway, back to this stang.

I need hood ornaments, the so called air holes, well one is missing and the other is half broke off.

It is not a bother per sey, but my gf sees that. I also need a back quarter reflector, right side.

I think I will go black on red theme, what do you all recommend for clear coat? 2X was recommended if I cheap on paint.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Mostly, I just wanted to post so others can give me tips and tricks on sn95 body, angle of attack, things to look out for etc.

And @ GRC, I have a special tune for you.