Project car, sn95 body, engine seized

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I found a smog delete pulley on summit racing, but still had a jaguar supercharger plate left over from a job at work. So, I will try to machine that into what summit is asking 150$ for.
Same number of groves etc.

As far as I know, I am getting rid of ac, maybe go electric for water pump if my ingenious or not so genius mind doesn't come up with something.

I tried timing it yesterday, flooded engine, something went wrong, weak spark, couldn't fire the octane.

Old gas in tank. etc etc. So another day lost,

But has new ect sensor, and 2 new rock auto bosch o2 sensor, engine caught for a while, borla exhaust sounded great @ 13 btdc. But I really dont trust the dizzy. Will spring for a MSD kit. Ouch says my wallet.:rolleyes:

Next week, american muscle mustang is sending a cold air intake, got a deal on it. Magazine said 54 usd, dude said it was 85 usd. I said, magazine rules. So in canadian, 125$ or so shipped up here, so, in essence, with borla good breathing exhaust, tossing stock inlet system, should get around 10-15hp instant.

Ok, nuff said, like I said, project, Murphy''s law applies here. Every thing that can go wrong, will go wrong.

As promised, pics to come. I will show what a real newbie butcher looks like. Boy oh boy, some ppl should not even touch these things. Horrible the waste of money and time for a zero result when you don't research. bla bla me venting.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Of note, engine mounts on doner were wow rock solid. So ford sure those went in. And listening to doner engine, (while it actually ran @ 13degrees), maybe there is a cam in there!!:oops:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Clarify: do you still need me to search for a PS pulley, or are you going to make one from what you have? If you want me to continue search, I need to know details mentioned before (OD, groove #/pitch, bore, etc)

As to the MSD, I am not aware of anything they have that is nearly as good as the stock Ford 36-1 crank trigger. If your engine is old enough to still use a dizzy, it can probably be easily retro-fitted to that 36-1 config with JY parts from a later year SBF.

A V-8 with a single-coil and dizzy runs out of dwell time for the coil at about 5000 rpm. If you want to go past that with no problem, you need wasted-spark or COP/CNP. Don't cripple your project with any brand of dizzy-based system.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
ok, great advice,

thx

I cannot for the life of me find the od etc.

at this point, will just stick a v6 pump, should do the job.

hope all is well with you and family, take care, and thx for the feedback. I will surely look into that dwell thing.

Since I know the megasquirt system worked on your vette, which I think went to son, nods.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Don't you have one of those pulleys on hand? Bent, but useable to get dimensions/details off of? Likewise, if you want under-drive (a larger OD than stock), just tell me what OD range you are looking for.

For MegaSquirt I strongly recommend this product, for about half the price:

It takes only a few hours to assemble, and is basically more capable than the PNP product. Most important, to me, is that schematics and replacement components are readily available. You can easily modify or repair it. It is the "universal" MS that the vehicle-specific products were derived from, and can control any engine from a 1-cyl Briggs & Stratton to a radial aircraft engine. The PNP you linked to does have some advantages over the kit, like appearance and water-proofing, but the kit has far more important advantages in functioning, versatility, and price.

If you want to go the MS route, or even consider it, go to the <msextra.com> site and explore or join the forum there. You may not notice right away, but one of the prime MS developers is in Quebec. And yes, if you really want to get into "hard core" modifications the SW source code is available, or the developers will often provide trial code for you to experiment with; no cost.

The PNP products do have lots of support, via that forum I mentioned and from DIYautotune directly, but I don't think access to the schematics or software is there like it is for the MS3.

OK, I have "preached" too long about MS!

billr

wrench
Staff member
I'm not sure if I "sold" you on any specific MS products, but still urge you to join the MS forum and get more opinions. As far as MS or DIY as a vendor, I don't think there is any good reason to look elsewhere. JBperf.com and 14point7.com are both in CA, and provide some good stuff not necessarily sold by DIY.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Again, billr, thx for these replies. It keeps me focused.

I finally got around to tearing down the seized engine, wanted to know why. And boy oh boy, sure hope you guys like the pics. IMG_20220829_094419442[1].jpgIMG_20220902_093428745[1].jpgIMG_20220902_094500994_MP[1].jpgIMG_20220902_093437322[1].jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I took out the cam, it is toast also. so basically, all that is good, is the block.

The crank as you can see id also toast, oil passage completely blocked, no oil to journal etc, but who in there right mind hammers home pistons like that?

So I am going to take the block to a machine shop and get it 30 or 40 over bore depending if the 30 over bore pistons kit I got is good. The machine shop will tell me that. I want every thing ( think the english term is magnaflux) checked out, before I start throwing cranks and cams at this thing.

I was also looking at this kit, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-b16422ma030/make/ford#overview

with an anderson b21 cam kit.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
with a setup like that, an aftermarket tune will be essential. So yeah, I like the MGsquirt idea, cuz some other tuning kits have two setting and such. The mega deal looks right up my ally in regards to interface with pc etc.