Propane for A/C

billr

wrench
Staff member
Nickb2, my present dilemma is that you posted a link to a manufacturer that says PAG is good for propane; but I have found other similar sites that say only MO, AB, or POE. Worse, there is at least one that says anything but PAG is OK for propane. I'm talking only about manufacturer's sites, not forums or other personal babbling (blogs?). I'm not yet seeing any general consensus. And, of course, there are different variants of "PAG", water-soluble and water-insoluble. There is no hope of getting advice from the compressor manufacturer, Zexel has changed hands too many times. So, I'll keep searching and listening for a while. I would love to be convinced that the PAG in there is OK.

Why propane? It is far cheaper than R1234yf and easier to use (no need to recover). It cools better than R134a (don't know about R1234) and takes less pressure/power. Right now, I think I could get by with 1/2 lb. of propane charge in this system. The fire danger is insignificant to me, far less than the other hazards of operating a vehicle on public roads.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am not going to beat this dead dog wrong. But I am mostly certain, pag oil is fine. 46 ;) $.02

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I might be talking out of my arse right now, but I have been to numerous courses where I would fall asleep to this song. Whether it be r12 conversion to 134, or conversion to propane. the compressor is designed to use pag oil. switching to propane is just a gas change and has nothing to do with how the comp will lubricate.

My thinks is, mineral oil will not suffice, stick with pag.

At this point in time, I am really looking at what I post here, since knowing jack is not fond of me, I am just going to say, from experience, without debate and knowing not who usa or china will invade next, pag oil, in my honest opnion, will do much better for you application than mineral oil.

Just sayin.

Shyte this site needs helps. Jack can think what he wants from me, I respect him immensely because you respect him. That in itself is a good giveaway.

But My mom and GF told me that I need this site cuz it keeps me sane and centered apartd from other shyte in my life, and my other frinds know how important this site is to me.

So, @ jack c, even if you dont like my style, here it is.

I still like you, and it dont need to be a two way street, I have enough luv on my end.

But sure would like for you to see me as more than just a bitch adding you tube thing.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
so that being said, I know for a fact that it will be fine with pag 46.

I am so convinced, if you fail with mineral oil, that is on you. If you fail with pag oil, that is on me. My betting ticket, PAG 46 all day.

I know I may come across bizare and needy sometimes, but when it comes to stuff like this, you cant translate that. :p

putting propane in cars is not new, at least not up here. Is it legal, ask you insurgence guy. Only time I saw one pop, was on a rv in the hypolyte lafontaine tunnel in montreal harley guy next to me almost hit the wall. He got lucky and gunned it. :eek::D

billr

wrench
Staff member
I think you are overlooking the need for the oil to be soluble in the refrigerant. I think pretty much any oil can work in any compressor, but it has to either be kept in a sump of the compressor, or continuously distributed throughout the system by the refrigerant motion. This compressor has no sump.

Like you, I am not claiming to be positive on this; just trying to talk about it until I am convinced.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
this thread is fun as I learn along the way. I gives me a chance to learn new words such as miscible. I also didnt know that evaporators suffer from mineral oil in the heat transfer dept. Unless I read this link wrong. Lest we not forget, I am trying to help and not hinder. So if I am not helping, plz tell me so.

I read this link, I thought it had a few answers you are maybe looking for.

I also liked the site because for a very rare occasion, it had some french in it. ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I have not been one to open these types of comps, guessing it is not a piston type as you stated it does not have a sump. And plz correct me if I am wrong, but isnt this a variable scroll type we talked about before, or am I mistaking my self with another thread

Anyway, for lack of info, finding these things on net is hard, not readily available info on the fly so to speak.

But since I know what type of car we are talking about, I know it is a saturn 1996 I want to know, is this your comp

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
from my limited understanding, mineral oil will hamper the efficiency. How much, I dont know, I am not an expert on this. But knowing that PAG oil is a form of poly, most suited for this system from what I peruse here and there I will still stick to my betting on las vegas.

I may be repeating my self bill, but my son just had his first heart ache. His GF told him to f off apparently. I just told him the mother of women aint dead yet. Was that good advice, or did I worsen things. The joy I knew would happen as a father happened. And I felt not well equipped to answer and felt I gave him a half baked answer cuz that is what my dad told me when I had my first break up at that age. He basically said to me shrug it off.

I am really trying not to recreate this image.

Thx bill, your thread is interesting.

billr

wrench
Staff member
It is a vane compressor. Nickb2, you provided me an exploded view of it back in 2018. See it here, reply #104:

NickD

wrench
R-134a is 4 bucks for a 12 ounce can and two or three cans are the most you will need, so not sure why you are fooling around with propane. If some drunk hits you, wrecks your condenser, with a huge propane fire, may have some legal problems.

billr

wrench
Staff member
R-134a is going away, same as R-12 did. The proper comparison is propane to R-1234yf, which is far more expensive and also flammable.

But, my main reason for exploring propane is because it cools better! No matter how much I try, about the best I can get at the dash with R-134a is 45F. The very first try with propane got me 25F! That, of course, is only my experience with this vintage of Saturn ('94/95 S-series); but it is promising enough for me to keep exploring...

Again, I'll leave the safety concerns to you and Ralph Nader; I ain't interested.

NickD

wrench
Guess it depends on whom is elected, my freezer is still using 4.75 ounces of R-12, it cools down to -11*F.

NickD

wrench
Guess it depends on whom is elected, my freezer is still using 4.75 ounces of R-12, it cools down to -11*F.
Of course if evaporator temperature drops to 32*F may notice little or no air flow due to the evaporator being a solid cake of ice.