Propane for A/C

JackC

wrench
I feel your pain.

Over 4 years ago I installed a new compressor on my "89 Buick and you assisted me in vac and fill. Time flies.

I had trouble and all kinds of conflicts on any kind of online A/C specs. I got very frustrated on which oil to use also. I do not recall why I finally used Ester 100 Vis 150 oil with the R134a or why I have 4 oz of Pag 46 on the shelf. But the good news is the A/C has been perfect and cool for over 4 years. Good luck on your project.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Propane is back in there. I settled on 25L/245H (psi), which seemed to yield 25-35F at the dash vent. Actually, that is a thermocouple stuffed well down into the duct going up to the dash; so dash temp is probably higher. Regardless, my wife will like it, but it is uncomfortably too cold for me.

It probably is still too much charge, as that T/C dropped down to a steady 22F when I drove around a bit at 40 mph. Tomorrow I will take it for a longer ride, and at highway (75 mph) speeds for a while. Stay tuned!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I'm about ready to say "screw it" and put propane back in with the existing PAG and receiver as-is; see WTF it does. It has been an inop system, so not much to lose.
Good morning Billr, this comment of your makes sense.

You know what, I highly doubt the silicate will give a flying hoot. I see plenty of guys mixing stuff up at work, and these systems run fine for a good while.

My father used to say ppl overthink stuff.

Kinda like that trump biden debate. They say in the news, google had never recorded such keystokes as such (how to move to canada) or (do I need a passport to go live in canada) or is canada a nice place) or (is canada cold0

you get the drift, usa almost knocked out google with web quarries.

@billr, hope I am not being as disruptive as before. But up here, we just got put back in red zone, not much fun to be had, everything is closed again, cant see family or friends, so since I have time, I will research the silicate thing. ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
this tune is for all the haters of this world. When push comes to shove, think.

This week was rough, new directives, ppl just being all around fuuz and weird. And reading posts such as this remind me of essential. How do I fix things and have fun at same time.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.