Question about GFCI outlets

eddieguy

I’m trying to bring my moms home up to city code that is required to sell it, and one requirement is to change the outlets that are near water sources to GFCI type outlets , which I have done but I have a question about it.

A couple of people have told me that if you have one GFCI outlet on a circuit it would protect all other outlets on THAT circuit but I tend to disagree so I’m looking for other opinions that I might be able to resolve faster than weeding through it all on google

It seems to me from what I can see that the one GFCI outlet will only protect the other outlets if they follow that GFCI in that run on the circuit

I have about 4 GFCI outlets on one circuit and if I hit the test button on one of them it only seems to kill power on others on the circuit depending in the order they come in from The panel. Am I correct in my thinking on this

billr

wrench
Staff member
You are correct, a GFCI will only protect circuits in its specific receptacles and the "load" circuit following it (if there is any). I often use GFCI CBs to protect an entire circuit, but your local code may not allow that

eddieguy

Thanks for confirming that. I considered putting in gfci circuit breakers as well to protect the whole circuit and probably just easier to install in some cases they didn’t mention that as an option maybe they are trying to keep people out of their panel lol but I work safer than most I’m sure

My city buried the power line coming into my house and installed a big cut off switch outside so I could kill the main power before it even entered the home but I doubt most people have that

billr

wrench
Staff member
I think there is always a "main disconnect" for electric service.

eddieguy

This is a switch that’s literally right by The meter mounted on my home

BobH

I’m trying to bring my moms home up to city code that is required to sell it, and one requirement is to change the outlets that are near water sources to GFCI type outlets , which I have done but I have a question about it.

A couple of people have told me that if you have one GFCI outlet on a circuit it would protect all other outlets on THAT circuit but I tend to disagree so I’m looking for other opinions that I might be able to resolve faster than weeding through it all on google

It seems to me from what I can see that the one GFCI outlet will only protect the other outlets if they follow that GFCI in that run on the circuit

I have about 4 GFCI outlets on one circuit and if I hit the test button on one of them it only seems to kill power on others on the circuit depending in the order they come in from The panel. Am I correct in my thinking on this
Keep in mind that, for kitchen countertop outlets, the code requires two 20-amp GFCI-protected circuits. So if, for example, you have six countertop outlets in the kitchen, you might put three on one circuit, with the GFCI receptacle closest to the electrical panel, and three others on another circuit with another GFCI outlet. Multiple bathrooms can have a single GFCI circuit protecting all their counterop outlets. Electricians, correct me if I'm wrong.