R134a port caps

billr

wrench
Staff member
I put the pictures with this thread. Those are simple brass "cups" with an M8 x 1.0 screw threaded in and soft-soldered. Loctite would probably work OK, too, but I trust solder better. I tapped the caps with common 5/16"-24, that is so close to M8 x 1.0 that it doesn't matter that, especially since there only a few threads in the cap. The center screw is the same for both high/low, but the cap ID (and O-ring) is not. No "one size fits all" if you want to be sure they seal...

Could I have cut off the screw head and made them prettier? Sure, but that protruding screw makes a nice handle for installing/tightening!

PS: I meant to post this yesterday but must have pushed a wrong button!
IMG_2985.JPGIMG_2988.JPG

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Spot on work bill, and yes, keep the bolt head, it just makes sense. Nice pics, and nice workmanship.

NickD

wrench
Back then, nobody in the US heard of the metric system of units and some weird thread sizes were used, but spark plugs of today are more standard metric sizes. Would have to dig back to my notes to give you those weird sizes. But even today in particular for spark plug and lug nuts hex sizes, are still using the English system of measurements.

Practically all imports whose country is metric, use even numbered metric sizes, When the US converted, first time we used old sizes. Metric increments are small not easy to tell the difference between a 14 and 15 mm bolt head.

So you used an R-134a to R-12 adapter, as soon as you showed a photo, recognized that, have some, but never thought about converting into a cap. But that larger cap is for the much lower pressure low side. Most important is the high side small cap.

Got bored trying to find metal R-134a port caps, wonder if there is a market for them, but seem to be short of a plant now, somewhere in China no thanks to the last 30 years of leadership.

billr

wrench
Staff member
No R12 pieces used. Just standard screws and some brass.

The cap in the pictures is the smaller one, on the low side. The high side has the larger one, which aggravates difficulty in trying to seal it with a plastic cap. Yes, of course I made a cap for the high too.