RAV4 electric seat conversion

Fred Malito

Toyota
RAV4
4cyl
How ludicrous is it to install an electric seat

I would like to convert my drivers front seat to the electric option. The idea is to find an electric seat from a salvage company, swap my existing seat covers onto it (as I am willing to bet they are the same exact size specifications), and install in place of my existing mechanical seat.

These electric seats were only available as an option in the Limited models, and are the only option that I would prefer to have in my vehicle. It is not worth the $10,000 plus upgrade to get a Limited just for one electric seat. Given that the dimensions and bolt pattern for the seat should be identical, that just leaves the issue of wiring.

My assumption here is that the seat should be completely self-contained, only requiring power and ground for the switches, motors, and what ever runs the lumbar support that presumably should be built into the seat (Ignoring the airbags that are standard on all seats and the hopefully seperate associated wiring for that). So, here's the questions; will the wiring for an electric seat option be in my existing vehicle as part of a generic wiring harness that is shared across all models? If not, are we only looking at running a power and ground for the seat, and terminating them into a correct socket to plug into the seat, or adding a few pins to an existing connector?

If I really wish to get carried away, what would be the difficulty, if I am successful in getting an electric seat to operate in the vehicle, in adding the memory function? The memory switch pad is on the door, and I do not know what controls the memory options. Is everything integral to the seat, Is there some control unit under the dash, does a BCM handle the operation? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thank you all for your assistance. Have a great day!

Fred Malito

kev2

wrench
I hate to be a curmudgeon but lets get information together - gone are the days of only needing 12v and a ground..

There is more to consider - is the harness there for one ... can we add on or purchase the different under seat harness - things like airbags and seat sensors will need to be addressed... Did Toyota offer a dealer 'upgrade' something for upfitters to utilize...

I will look for a seat wiring diagram -
If you get to pull the used seats yourself, following the harness would be advised maybe instead of a snip snip follow harness to connector.

Fred Malito

I concur, and that is the reason for my question. I was hoping that someone may have prior knowledge of an existing harness either visible or tucked away somewhere under the carpet. I will have the opportunity to pull the existing seat at the end of the month to investigate if I can not see anything obvious using a flashlight.

Toyota does not offer an upgrade for this; I have already asked. In the event that a wiring harness is not available or cost/installation makes it prohibitive, I have the means to create one or add necessary wiring to the existing harness if there are blanks for additional pins. Most connectors and pins are available on eBay now, and I have the proper crimping tools. Seeing as how this seat already has airbags and a weight sensor, the wiring harnesses should carry over. Hopefully they were not dumb enough to make completely different harnesses for different trim levels.

I will make every attempt to find a seat within a 200 mile radius and go get it myself, but I may end up having to have one shiped. Even if I do find one within reasonable driving time, so many salvage yards will not let people on their lot anymore due to insurance regulations that I may be completely unsuccessful in getting to look at the donor vehicle at all.

kev2

wrench
Fred I think this a can do - as I said more to it than a power source 12v an a ground....
I will add what if anything I find out later

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hi Fred, actually, I just checked the wiring diagrams.
Of note, this for a 2012.

You will need to pull the seat and verify connector K21/N8. K21 is "a" side of connector and N8 is "b" side.

K21 will be, or should be vehicle harness. N8 is seat side harness.

Ace 0 pdf is seat connector locations, Ace 1 pdf is seat wiring schematic.

30amp bat + from pw/seat fuse provides power for all seat motors via pins 5 and 6 of connector K21/N8 and ground provided by pin 9 of connector K21/N8.

No memory function to speak of.

I provided wiring for a 2012 since I am hoping they are the same as a 2013. My alldata would not provide those as that is the extent of my database.After 2012, my alldata data base only give slight info and TBS's.

I know the rav4 went through a slight face lift in 2013 for the US market, hoping wiring is still the same. So I am a bit iffy.

Attachments

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I did a quick google search, interior seems to have changed also and seat memory seems to be incorporated as of 2013. I could find no mention of that option in 2012.

So my wiring schematics may/probably will be useless.

Hope someone else has 2013 schematics.

Sorry.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
As for airbag and seat belt and weight sensor, (driver side does not have a weight sensor as it does not need one) those should be on a separate squib line and have no effect on the power seat functions and only need bat+ and ground.

With memory function, did I read right? Do you have the memory pad in the door? I should hope not if you bought this rav4 without pw seat ability.

Fred Malito

No, ourvehicle does not have a memory pad, I was just contemplating how much more difficult installing the memory function would be after we had a functioning electric seat in the vehicle. For instance, does the seat handle the memory function itself, or is there a separate control module elsewhere that I would have to have also, things of that nature.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
From looking at the camry in 2012, they have the memory seat option and I could not find separate control module, so I am assuming the driver seat switch is the module.

Is it the same for the 2013, I really don't know.

There seems to have been a very big upgrade in that year. Heated seats, for one, and the memory seats also.

SO this is a big if on my part, as I do not have the 2013 schematics.

Fred Malito

Understood. It may be worth my time sent to be very particular about what year seat I get, then, as it may have surprises behind that switch panel.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I love this song, my nephew shakes big time

But he still knows a bike is a bike.

This is a very viable project. Over thinking this is not essential.

kev2

wrench
X2 what nick has posted -
the information on the 2013 is lacking from my source also - IDK why its often the latest year model I have issues with..

we agree it is doable - want to be sure you have ALL that's needed before 'tearing' iinto it.. I am sure wife needs the vehicle.
What are the prices you are seeing on the seats?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This thread reminds me of maybe to do a post on the difference of mux/bus/squib.
Squib line is very different from mux/bus line.
Normally, yellow hrnes =squib.

When working on a squib circuit, away follow instructions.

Often newbies come here and state that we as wrenches are to safety conscientious.

FU, we have fix live shyte and not you tube stuff.

Last a$$hole was how to mount a rack on a taurus in a third world country.

Ask and you shall receive.