RE; Help, Please...Info on trouble code for Chevy Malibu SORRY 1st Posted to Imp

RE; Help, Please...Info on trouble code for Chevy Malibu
« on: Today at 07:11:04 PM »
Hi.. I recently bought a 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT from a dealership. The Malibu is a 4 door with a 2.4L MPI DOHC 16V 4 Cylinder. The 1st time driving it after getting it home the check engine light came on & remained. I had the check engine light check for codes at a nearby parts store & found it had the code # P0013. P0013 means Camshaft Position activator solenoid fault. Either there's an open or short circuit condition of failed CMP actuator solenoid.
Fortunately I bought an extended warranty with the vehicle. I also have a $50 deductible with the warranty.
The person who checked the OBDII said that it had been reset 3 times prior to their check & that this was the 4Th time the code had been set. I guess the dealership disconnected the battery a few times before I stumbled in & bought the car.

I would like some advice..somebody please explain to me what this code means. Also, is it an easy fix? What kind of damage is this doing to the car? Also any other information you think I should know or would like to know.
I am pretty angry at the dealership. They are supposedly one of the better ones. I live in St. Paul, Minn. The dealership is part of a chain of dealerships that are suppose to be one of the more reputable in the area I live.
I have had the car a little over 1 week.
Anyway, anyone who has any advice I would love to hear from you. I am especially concerned with the damage this could be causing my car & how it might be impacting mileage, etc.
I don't think it's fair for me to get stuck paying $50 deductible to get this fixed.

This is my 1st time posting so please excuse if it appears out of the norm.
Many thanks in advance.
Gumbypokey1960
Sharon

Reply Quote Notify

billr

wrench
Staff member
Are you sure about that code number (P0013)? As far as I know, the OBD2 "P" codes start at P0100.

I am not familiar with that particular code # , but I do not think that code description is doing any harm to your newly purchased vehicle whatsoever. But it must be fixed.

I believe any respectable dealer would take care of that without the $50 deductible cost, since you have had it for only 1 week.

Return it to him and ask for a no cost repair.

JackC & billr thanks or responding. The slip from Autoz_one has: OEM Number to Cross: P0013. Then it describes about the camshaft position actuator solenoid fault...blah blah blah. I know zilch about this stuff. I'll bring vehicle back again to have OBD2 checked again.
Knowing that it might be the Crankshaft position actuator solenoid.. what do you think? Is it causing permanent damage? Do you know if it is affecting operation-idling? Gas consumption?
Thanks, gents

P0013--This is a exhaust solenoid usually caused by the cam shaft phaser, it is at the front of the head on the passenger side it is pretty easy to change. It is usually the problem about 95% of the time, you may not have the tools required to do the test so replacement may be the only thing you could try. P0011 is the intake solenoid right beside the exhaust solenoid.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Okay, I searched for that code and found the description. I agree that having that solenoid inop probably doesn't hurt the engine any; but it will affect power, fuel economy, and emissions. Worst case is it may damage the catalytic converter. If the dealer balks about a free repair, stress the emissions angle. It is probably illegal for them to sell a vehicle with faulty emissions equipment, and there are a lot of government agencies concerned about emissions; I don't think they will want much more investigation to go on.

Another little dirty trick I feel GM is doing, that $5,600.00 GM Tech II scanner must have some kind of code translator in it. I hooked up a generic scanner to my Chevy and showed codes I couldn't find anywhere. So paid my Chevy dealer after a 30 buck agreement to connect his GM Tech II scanner to get the correct codes. Just told him, I would repair it myself for this out of warranty thing. Also wrote these codes down. Only took him about two minutes.

These things are not that much different than a home computer, could very well be a software problem. Like getting blue screen thinking your computer is defective. First shot is to try to recover your data, reformat the hard drive, and reload windows. Works most of the time, other wise can spend literally hours trying to find a corrupt file that many anti-virus programs can't find.

But can't do this with a vehicle at home unless you have access to the firmware at about $1,500.00 per vehicle for a one year subscription. If I did lay out $5,600 for a GM Tech II scanner, is now obsolete as was around 2011 or so, GM switched to generation 3, and entirely different system where a tech II scanner is worthless.

With some of these maintenance agreements, may not be much more that your 5 year/100K mile powertrain warranty, have to read the fine print. Your firmware is stored in what they call flashram, same thing as that micro SD chip in your digital camera. Couldn't have selected a weaker form of storing this very valuable firmware. May not even be a hardware problem, could be a firmware problem as well.

Surprised the American public does not rebel. Guess we are idiots. We my old 04 Cavalier, had three firmware updates until they finally got it right. Just like Microsoft with service packs, 1,2,3....

Gus

wrench
I don't know the rules in your state(you can check with your Registry), but here is Ma., you can't sell a used car without a used car warranty.......varies depending on the year and mileage, but the minimum usually is 30 days(anything happens in 30 days, fixed for free, if not the fault of the customer)......so when that light came on, you should have immediately brought the vehicle back to the dealership, especially if it was a GM dealership....and if they wouldn't fix it, you hand them the keys and demand your money back(we have 3 business days to reject a deal on a used car).....

And if it was a GM dealership, and they wouldn't do anything about it, you call GM Customer Assistance and rip them a new one....

For whatever reason, wife wants an SUV, Chevy dealer had a very clean 04 Brazer, but known for transfer case problems. My deal was deducing the price of a transaxle off the trade in valve of this vehicle. His deal was to pay $1,500 bucks over the retail price plus buy a maintenance contract.

Just replied, I know for a fact you only offered half the trade in value for the vehicle and deducted the wholesell price for a new transaxle, you will still be making a thousand bucks off this deal. He knows for a fact that some other sucker will come along.

They use to take deals like this, but thanks to that crazy crunch, created a used vehicle shortage. One thing for sure, you are buying someone else's problems.

Gus

wrench
Nick, it's a new year....I thought your resolution was to talk about the posted topic! 8)