Make
Hyundai
Model
Santa fe
Year
Miles
350000km
Engine
Hello. I have a banging noise coming from the back end. I jacked it up and removed the wheel. The upper shock slides back and forth on the bushing. The bolt is tight but the whole body of the shock slides off almost completely off. Would this be the source of the noise

billr

wrench
Staff member
Sure, it seems like it could; but I am having trouble understanding how it can slide around if the fastener is tight. Can you post a picture?

NickD

wrench
Old fashion shock absorbers on this vehicle with a steel tube that fits over a stud that is inside a rubber bushing that attaches to the shock absorbed.

After 350,000 kilometers or 217470 miles either that steel bushing broke free of the rubber grommet or that rubber grommet broke free of the shock.

Around here in Norther Wisconsin, lucky to get 30K miles from shocks in an SUV, not only shocks, but the ball joints are also shot. Depending on how hard the gas pedal is hit with 4WD on the fronts.

DIY will run about 220 bucks in parts, dealer, more like $1,500.00 for all four shocks, best to change all of them for stability.

Have to agree, that steel tube ain't moving with a tight nut, but the shock is around it.

Bad fronts, vehicle will nose dive when you hit the brakes either to the far left or right. Not good in traffic.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I am not saying to replace them, I am saying I don't understand yet what the real problem is...

billr

wrench
Staff member
Dan, is that your picture, or one of the OP's situation? I am used to seeing a big washer on either side of the bushing to prevent that from happening.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Not my pic, but it is Santa Fe rear upper shock mount with a problem that may be similar to OP's. Yep, it needs a large "safety washer".

NickD

wrench
Many Santa Fe's were made in Montgomery, Alabama, and we had a huge army stationed in South Korea since the early 50's including my kid brother. That's like for the last 70's, just questioning if this is as so-called import, many of our so called domestics are buying tons of crap from China. Hyundai is generally less than 1% from China. Would think we should make South Korea a state, we have more troops there then in our own states.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/evYAAOSwsABaW8MP/s-l640.jpg

Looks like somebody left that large washer off.

Wonder if my company is coming back from China, three previous administrations pushed them there while giving us hell with the EPA, OSHA, ERA, and in particular with the IRS. Had to give vacations, health insurance, coffee breaksm least 18 years of age. China forces young kids to work 16 hour days for a buck a day, hard to compete with that.