Remove electrical connector from brake light switch

josiah

Thanks Mobile Dan, Nickb2 and billr.

I rotated switch+connector appx 90 degrees right (for better access); using a small flat head (standard) screw driver, inserted in switch slot, pushed in outward direction on connector tooth; nothing seemed to happened. Next I rotated switch+connector appx 90 degrees opposite way; while turning the connector came right out! I guess it "uncaught".
Removed switch. I tested switch continuity with my volt-ohm tester and got zero ohms; so it passed.
So I'm almost there!

What I need to do now-> replace the plastic cushion for brake light switch (toyota part 90541-06036).

Location->The cushion plugs into a hole right across from the brake light switch.

Problem->The space between the hole (where you insert the cushion) and the switch is around 1/4"; however the cushion is around 3/4" long. Space not wide enough.

Question->How do increase the space? If I could get at least 1-1/2 to 2" of space that should be enough. I think. But the more the better.

Thanks.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Remove the switch, install the cushion, re-install the switch. OR...
Start the engine, press the brake pedal to create more space to install the cushion, use needlenose pliers to start cushion into hole, release pedal to fully install cushion.
Caution...if you press too hard on the brake pedal on an old car, you may burst a rusty brake line. But at least you will be at home when it happens.

josiah

Remove the switch, install the cushion, re-install the switch. OR...
Start the engine, press the brake pedal to create more space to install the cushion, use needlenose pliers to start cushion into hole, release pedal to fully install cushion.
Caution...if you press too hard on the brake pedal on an old car, you may burst a rusty brake line. But at least you will be at home when it happens.
Mobile Dan or other members:
1) When I say I have only 1/4" space that is without the switch. I planned to install cushion first, and afterwards re-install the switch.
2) Previously I believed I started engine in an attempt to install cushion but still did not have enough space.
3) And you are right, I don't want to press down too hard on the brakes and blow the brake line or master cylinder.

So if you know another way of increasing the space between the cushion hole and the switch please let me know.
Then I could plug in the cushion and reset the space the way it was before.

Thanks.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Can you post a picture of what you are up against there?

If you need the pedal/lever to go down more, towards the floor, Loosen the master cylinder and brake booster from the firewall (you may only have to do one or the other). There should be enough give in the brake lines to move the booster enough to let the brake pedal "relax", don't disturb the brake lines at all. If this has ABS it will probably be a bit more difficult, I know...

Or, can you reach up and either disconnect the rod that pushes into the booster from the brake lever; or remove the pivot pin for that brake lever?

josiah

billr, Mobile Dan, Nickb2 or other members
Please see drawing below(right side). I need to insert a cushion (listed as "rubber bumper" below). It plugs into a hole in a flange attached to the brake arm. The flange mates up with the brake switch. Currently there is only appx 1/4" space (with the switch removed); however the cushion is appx 3/4" long; so I need a more space, maybe another inch would make it easy.
As suggested by Mobile Dan I started the car, pressed on brake, but space to insert cushion still not wide enough.
Billr I plan to try your suggestion regarding push rod.
Thanks.
1621993621138.png

billr

wrench
Staff member
Thanks for the pictures, at least now I can see what you are fighting.

josiah

:fixed: Please overlook the delay in responding. Last Saturday 6/5 I inserted the cushion and installed and adjusted brake switch. The brake lights are working good now!
Mobile Dan-> thanks for the usual thorough and complete instructions on disconnecting the electrical connector.
Nickb2-> thanks on where to buy a set of pointy tools.
Billr-> thanks for telling me to remove the pivot pin which connects the brake lever to the brake booster rod. After I did this the brake moved forward (or down) and this gave me plenty of space to push in the brake switch cushion.
Thanks for sharing your automotive knowledge with me.
Based on Youtube videos this is an easy job on newer vehicles where the switch and cushion are mounted lower; but not so on this old camry.
Thanks. Please take it easy!