Make
Ford
Model
e350 Super Duty
Year
Miles
Engine
5.4 liter
So, I am the one that posted the E350 Super Duty with a load rattle. I was trying to locate the rattle when I discovered the front "in arm" sway bar bushings were shot.
I removed the bar, but the metal sleeves of the old bushings will not come out. I looked online and it shows the bushings being tore apart with an air chisel. I have an air chisel, but isn't there a better way?

By the way, I drove the van without the sway bar and I still have the large rattle

See photo

Attachments

jigfeett

there is a little nut and bolt press for that which you can probably get a free rental at auto zone. You pay for the press use it and then return it is how they do it and if you forget to return it it is yours.
I made one out of a bolt and large washers, I think there might have been a socket too.

Website
www.billjohnson.info
I was able to remove the old bushings. Not a very professional job I must admit. A Saws-All, a long punch and hammer. I tried to be careful as to not mess up the bushing mounting holes in the front axle. I will be putting the bushings and sway bar in this afternoon. I will post after. Thanks all.

grcauto

I was able to remove the old bushings. Not a very professional job I must admit. A Saws-All, a long punch and hammer. I tried to be careful as to not mess up the bushing mounting holes in the front axle. I will be putting the bushings and sway bar in this afternoon. I will post after. Thanks all.
Sounds like a professional job to me. :)

Website
www.billjohnson.info
Well. I didn't have the correct size socket to use as a driving tool, so I used a short piece of water pipe with a cap threaded on it. I only have the bushings pushed in about 75%.
Several issues: The outer tie rods prevent a straight on hit of the drive tool, they may need to be disconnected.
See my drive tool, maybe not the best (photo)
Off brand bushings
Anyway, My next step is to make an install tool out of a bolt, nut. washers, backing plate (see image attached) NEW TOOL.png

Attachments

jigfeett

Looks like you a tool and die maker. I did the same thing with mine a few parts and pieces and away you go.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I have two problems with this tool, one, it is a cast iron cap, and no antiseize anywhere to dissipate friction, no bearing loading to take stress friction off. This would be a dangerous one time tool in my humble opinion. The thing that scares me the most, the cast iron end cap serving as a press tool. Those things break like glass when stressed. But they sure make good for pipe bombs, maximum damage.

Not a tool I want to be using with my I/R titanium gun. Would shatter that in a minute and bushing woldn't have move a 1.4 inch.

Not good.

;)

Again, who Am I to judge ingenuity?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
But 2 ;);):bat::bat: for the pics, the gusto to do it and TRY!!:cool::fixed:

Maybe next time, try a wheel bearing RACE AS A SUBSTITUE for the cast iron. The breaing race will withstand WAY more stress and impact and not break and shatter, the tensile of that is way different and more safer as a metal to use in this sort of application.

I hope I did not offend you, I have your safety at heart. Seriously.

To help you forgive me, I want to share a song. I don't know why I am having a hard time with the guitar, but my timing is way off. I am good at what I do, this guy sure knows how to play and sing, but mostly, he is timed. ;)

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, I hate to disagree with you, nickb2, but I see no problem with that pipe-cap tool.

PS: the largest press I have worked with was 850 tons, I have seen what some pretty tame-looking materials can withstand, just for fun...