removing sway bar bushing

Website
www.billjohnson.info
Thank you nibkb2 and billr, I know cast is not the best material to put stress on, but I did make sure I only used hand tools, no air tools. I also kept the cast cap to the back of the axle beam and my face to the front. I did use some light weight oil on the threads. Just as a note, I also have a tie rod end puller that is cast I believe (attachment) and that has a lot of stress placed on it. Again only hand tools are used with it.

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
That puller may be forged, the surface of forged looks similar to cast. If cast, it is probably a much better grade (strength and ductility) than a pipe cap.

However, I suspect that cheap pipe cap can take a 10 ton compression load, way beyond what you need for the bushing R & R.

Website
www.billjohnson.info
Well, Thanks all that replied. nickb2, billr. , and all others.

The bottom line is nickb2 has made a strong point of safety first.
When using an impact gun you need to only use impact approved tools, sockets, chisels, etc
I don't use an impact gun too often (except my 8 lug wheels) but I have impact approved sockets, etc when I do.
In my case using hand tools I can still see the possible safety hazard of the cast cup shattering, especially if it had a flaw in the casting.
So take nickb2's safety warning to heart and lets all Thank him for his concern.