Make
dodge
Model
ram
Year
Miles
Engine
5.7 hemi
general question: I bought a used truck with tinted windows. I hate them. My mechanic said there is something that can be sprayed on that will remove the tint,, but he didn't know the name of it. I asked at my local Auto Zone, and the guy there had no idea. I asked at my local Advance Auto, and the guy there sold me some stuff called "Goof Off". Sprayed it on,, let it sit for about 15 min, and all I ended up with was an expensive window cleaner. Can you guys steer me on to something that would work? A friend looked at the windows and is 99% sure it's a sprayed on tint. HELP!!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
if you have ever owned a zippo lighter, the stuff in that is great for you problem Lighter fluid

gullythumper

Will try the lighter fluid thing first. Once I wipe the fluid on, how long until I try to scrape off the tint? Also, that video is good, but it seems to imply he's removing a "decal" type tint, rather than spray on. One other dumb question: is the tint on the inside or outside of the glass?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am an edgy guy, i can fight like conor, my dad is a prolific if you want, cena and others come and go

MY DAD is for some reason cheeking this out

NickD

wrench
What the heck did I use to remove that crap around 20 years ago on the motorhome I purchased. Recall using one of those single edge razor blade holders with a heat gun, went pretty quick. Then odor proof mineral spirits to get some of that sticky stuff off, topped it off with Windex.

Asked some stupid questions, why do people put that crap on windows, but the real question was, why was I dumb enough to buy it.

paulo57509

Ammonia is the solvent of choice.

The problem with removing window film is when you start tugging, either you peel up just the clear top layer, leaving the tint and adhesive layer on the window OR you get both the clear and tint layers off and leave the adhesive behind. You need to attack the adhesive.

BTW, if you manage to just peel off the clear layer and leave the tint behind, you are screwed (97.3% of the time, you'll be screwed anyway) - you will be scraping the entire window with a razor and ammonia.

Car windows being vertical makes removal a bit harder as you need the ammonia (I used Windex) to be able to stay in place and soak into the edge of the tint.

Once you can get an edge to lift (try a scraper and try to get it to lift a bit), start spraying the Windex down onto the adhesive under the lifted film and let it work. and try peeling more back - spray, wait, peel, repeat over and over.

It's a slow and tedious process. Even when the film is off the window, there's going to be some adhesive left behind. More Windex, a razor blade scraper and elbow grease.

Some people use a heat gun but I've never tried this method.

You can try a commercial tint remover but the same spray/soak/peel technique applies.

Tint shops will do removal but they'd probably charge as much to remove as they do to install.

You can always wait 30-40 years and it'll remove itself for the most part.

NickD

wrench
Adhesive back film I would call it, heating it softens the adhesive even though it been on awhile making it easier to scrape off, mineral spirits gets rid of that sticky stuff.

Good news only had one window to clean, is your Ram a two or a four door? Is it just on the door windows, normally don't put this stuff on the windshield, could also be on the rear window.

This guy is using Windex ammonia black bag and the sun for the heat, for me, ammonia is an irritant and a razor blade without a hold, but makes it look easy, maybe that film is fresh and not baked on by the sun, each to his own.