removing window tint

gullythumper

You guys have some great stuff, but most of your suggestions are for the "film". I am pretty sure mine is spray on. NickD, unfortunately mine is four door and it's on the rear slider too. Just wondering, does the factory ever use glass with the tint "impregnated" into the glass? ( meaning I'd have to actually replace all the windows?)

NickD

wrench
When I was down in Venezuela and Colombia, everybody was filming or spraying their windows, that way the bad guys can't tell if there is a little sweet old lady in the car, or six big guys carrying defensive weapons.

See lots of factory vehicles with tinted windows, can't see the inside, so since you are asking this question do you think yours are stock?

Son's mini-van is tinted all around, can't even see my grandkids, but they can see me. How does yours look, nice neat and clean or is it peeling off with bubbles under the film? Motorhome was film with tears and bubbles under it.

gullythumper

Mine are as clean and smooth as you can get. that's why I suspect spray on, or factory impregnated. I'm going to try to track down the previous owner and see if he can shed some light on the issue. Damn, I hate to think I have to replace all the glass, although I would be happy just changing out the two front door windows. My issue is that I can't see the headlights shining to the sides when making turns. I have to put the windows down for clear visibility. This is hard turning and also can't see deer to the side until I'm right on top of them.

NickD

wrench
Kids are all gone, last one left a $200.00 jacket in the front seat of her car at college, passenger door window can be broken in this thing with an ice pick, I replaced the glass to save cost on that, but that jacket was history.

Found this for you, only $38.60 for a front door clear glass window and not that difficult to replace, heck, sell your old ones on ebay.

gullythumper

NickD, after seeing that photo, I'm convinced the windows are factory stock. AND, thanks for that site. I never heard of it. Heck, for under $100 for a pair, it would be much easier just to order them than screw around trying to find out if my tint can be removed

NickD

wrench
This is what my son's 2014 Chrysler Town and Country looks like.

From the outside those windows really look back and you can barely see in. I have driven it both in the day and night time, had no problems seeing out. Wonder if you vehicle sat out in the sun too long making your windows darker. His minivan spends most of its time in a garage at home. Read either tinted windows will fad or get dark. Ha, people get dark out in the sun all day, windows must be the same.

"Factory fitted tinted glass will be smooth, with no bubbles, and the film will come to the edge of the glass since the film is applied before the glass is put into the vehicle. (edit) The more expensive vehicles have the "tint" laminated inside the glass, and will have no "film" at all."

My motorhome rear tinted window was loaded with bubbles. Not stock.

gullythumper

The truck has had 4 owners. I know the original owner, but sometime after he traded it someone added tinted headlight buckets with the white LED type lights. I hate them even looking out the windshield. I am going to order new buckets and the regular factory type lights. That may even help, but if my side vision at night is still impeded, I will replace the front windows. Another issue I have with the tint, is that at night I can't see my back-up lights unless I put the window down ( looking through the side view mirror)

NickD

wrench
What people that buy some of this aftermarket crap from China that involves the visibility of their vehicles and DOT Lighting laws, they are removing the liability from the vehicle manufacturer and accepting it themselves. Even hit by a stranger, if his insurance company finds these mods, according to law, don't have to cover you.

Got into a bit of an argument from a guy claiming he purchased Sylvania DOT approved headlamp LED's from China, just told him he never heard of Chinese counterfeiting. We had a problem with this as well as many other US manufacturers, or what little is left of them, counterfeiting our parts and wanting warranty work done for free.

Even worse was being sued where these Chinese counterfeited parts caused a so-called accident, when they weren't even our parts. Court forced them to let them see them because they were evidence.

Sure not saving an money buying crap from China., importers are making a fortune.