Replacing a Kia Forte 2018 transmission. Align bell housing with dial indicator before install?

Make
Kia (with Hyundai A6MF1 transmission)
Model
Forte Sedan
Year
2018 (YDm) manufactured in Mexico
Miles
Engine
Hyundai Nu 2.0L CVVL (G4ND) MPi
This is my first time installing a FWD transmission. This is a car with very low mileage, hoping to make this tranny install last as long as possible.
The car regrettably only has 10,000 miles on it. The rest of the vehicle is in stellar condition. Wrong fluid was put into the original transmission and driven on, local transmission expert confirmed it was toast. My goal is to make this install last as long as possible.

I've reviewed the factory service manual procedure and fully understand it, but am trying to do this job right and get the details in order. I am ready to pre-fill the torque converter and understand how to properly remove and install converter. I just acquired a CarDaq Plus 2 programming passthru and will be reprogramming the TCM after install in accordance with factory service bulletin. Will be paying for access to all service bulletins and reviewing before install. So far, I feel like I have my ducks in a row for the job. The replacement transmission is a genuine factory remanufactured transmission from Kia. (Hyundai A6MF1 6-speed transmission).

I am hearing that bell housing alignment is important for a truly proper transmission install. I have a harbor freight low transmission jack, but it's my understanding that just jacking the whole tranny up and installing is not enough, that bell-housing alignment is important. How important? Please feel free to correct me if this is wrong. I am willing to go through whatever it takes to do the job proper. I have the time, the tools, and the space.

Appreciate any input I receive, thank you all for your time.

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
I think every car made in the last 100 years or so has had dowel-pins in the engine block to ensure the bell-housing is aligned properly; nothing more than that is needed. I would be very surprised if this KIa was made without dowels (or similar). However, it should slip together with hand pressure; you should never have to use the housing-to-block screws to "pull" it together. If you can't push it all the way with 50# or so of hand pressure, something ain't right...

I think every car made in the last 100 years or so has had dowel-pins in the engine block to ensure the bell-housing is aligned properly; nothing more than that is needed. I would be very surprised if this KIa was made without dowels (or similar). However, it should slip together with hand pressure; you should never have to use the housing-to-block screws to "pull" it together. If you can't push it all the way with 50# or so of hand pressure, something ain't right...
Yes, it does have dowels. I guess I'm reading around that any further finite adjustment of the dowels is for race cars only. I appreciate the response, thank you.

Last edited:

bp042665

hunting nut
Make sure the converter is all the way in for sure also after you put 2 Bellhousing Bolt's in make sure you can spin converter if not it might not be all the way in

jigfeett

Dumb questions
Who put the wrong fluid in?
Why was fluid needed in a 3 year old vehicle?
$.02