Reprogramming seat sensor cost

JP

Yes dealer is a much more expensive route

I called a few places and this is the price I got in my area

Dealer cost for calibration: $220
Go-to mechanic cost for calibration: $75

Honestly I am so confused of what OBD2 scanner I should get I keep visiting sites like https://obd2scannerguide.com/ but not sure if it will be compatible with my auto

Nick makes an excellent point; there's a HUGE difference between a scan tool and a code reader. Many times the term "scanner" is used, which is confusing. Does "scanner" mean "bidirectional scan tool", which has WAY more diagnostic capabilities than a reader, or does "scanner" mean a code reader, which only passively reads (and in some cases can erase) trouble codes? It's not always clear.

In my shade-tree adventures, I've longed for a good bidirectional scan tool, but am too cheap to pull the trigger and get one. With the exception of the reprogramming the seat sensor module, I've been able to get by with my Auto Enginuity software and an Actron ABS reader to diagnose what I need to know in order to fix my "fleet" and pay for these tools in the process.

I've probably replaced parts that didn't need replacing, not having a scan tool that pins down exactly what is going on with the car, but either I've either guessed correctly or have had the good luck not to be dealing with a choice between replacing an expensive part and a cheap part in order to see which is not working correctly. And so, the formula below seems to have held up:

Cost of a good bidirectional scan tool > cost of the diagnostic tools I already own + cost of the parts I've "guessed" about+
cost of the very few times I've needed a real mechanic to diagnose a problem + AllData subscription

Of course, this does not take into account the time I spend researching a problem through Alldata, here on the forums and online (Youtube, etc.). And of course, as Nick suggests...learning. Some repairs have taken me at a minimum three or four times longer than a pro...having to get the right tool loaner from Autozone, not knowing the tricks of the trade, etc., occasionally busting a part when removing it...so it's not really about the cost of the repair and the parts.

For me, it's been a fun (sometimes not) hobby. When I am under a time crunch or if it's below freezing in the garage and I don't want to crawl around on the floor, I'll have the pros handle a repair. Fortunately I have a good mechanic nearby who I trust, is very reasonable in costs, and gets things done quickly for those times.

JP

In my real life, I'm a veterinarian and I see diagnostics as a challenge (in a good way). One advantage to auto repair is that parts are replaceable. In my line of work...not so much. ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In my real life, I'm a veterinarian and I see diagnostics as a challenge (in a good way). One advantage to auto repair is that parts are replaceable. In my line of work...not so much. ;)
Wow, I did not know that. Who would have known you (JP) fix animals. Good on you. I like thinking a veterinairian actually likes to get his hands dirty once in a while. This site amazes me every time I come here. (which is quite often).

I once had to fix a ladies soccer mom van. What I think was left of a (panache) which is what I think is a male head dress of un/a (orignal).

Ok, found the french term, MOOSE.

Yes french is getting in the way here. Anyway, one of the horns had pierced the plastic tank of her van. Major clean up before I even go under there. Found bits and pieces of the head all under there. The snout?/ nose was very well stuck under there with all other bits and pieces.

One of my uncles is/was a coroner. His first study was psychologist. Then he tried to do both at same time. He said that he stopped being a practicing coroner because it was too depressing.

Jp, that moose was way beyond replaceable parts, if you know what I mean. :oops:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am still off work, sadly, a prostate is also a non auto zone napa replaceable part. Going into care today or tommorrow. Not sure how that will go.

Anyway, thx for the
Nick makes an excellent point;
Always nice to feel I made some kind of sense.

Take care, this site will not probably hear from me for awhile.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Sorry to hear you have the medical issue. That, coming at the same time as other stuff, must be brutal for you. I wish you the best of luck!

JP

Dittos on the health, Nick.

Seat sensor...fixed. Total cost: $485 and change.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yes, back from care now, good to go. Need to avoid certain things.

Things not good on my sisters side, she is stage "C" liver failure. Prognosis not good. Hemorrhaging and just basically shutting down.

My prostate is nothing compared to that, a few weeks later, I am good to go. But I must say, not a very fun place to get fussed in if some get my drift.

On a positive note. Back to work. Start this monday.

Sometimes I wish I was not an atheist. That way, I could make beleive everything is going to be ok. But sadly, life doesn't crumble that way in the vast milky way of things. But this is not a site for religion.

I somehow knew the seat sensor was going to be that price. I hate saying I told you so, but there it is.

Good thing you were on the ball there JP, I have seen some get screwed 1000$ large for similar SRS troubles.

Again, thx to all for good and kind words.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
But I must say, not a very fun place to get fussed in if some get my drift.
Yes, I am again quoting on my self.

I repeat, NOT A VERY FUN PLACE. I will spare some details.

Postive here I think were blood cell counts and such. I tend to become deaf on one ear when it comes to doctor speak.

My ego brain went straight to cancer. How dare I think of my own self when my sister is going through what is much worse. But it gave me the balls to actually get things done so I can be there for her in the near future. Cuz she sure is damn going to need help. Liver cirrhosis in its final stages is not pretty.

But life goes on, we deal with it one battle at a time.

I love this site. A very solid friendship of sorts when you look at all we do here over time.

I am quite proud of being here and chatting with you all over tidbits and such.

Much better than watching cats do funny things on a smart phone.

Since I haven't had time to post whilst drunk, my doc said to stay away from that with my condition. Here is me feeling much better, but dang that region of the body is sensitive.

No way a month ago I would dance like this.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Next step for me, some back to basics. Karate sportif. The regimen will be suited for me to get back to good health. Maybe my son will join in later, but I don't want him to see me at my lowest. But I am damn sure my 15ish yr old son will never be as strong as me. At least I think so. But I damn sure know he will surpass me someday. Isn't that what all fathers want for their kids?

Ok, nuff about me.

JP

A heads up: You kid will get stronger than you...someday. Of this there is no doubt. :) I held on into my mid-30s, then began to lose the battle with the kids :giveup:. At some point, you'll get comfortable with it. I struggled to come to terms with my waning desire to exercise, which bothered me more than the fact that I was unable (due to age, aches, pains, etc.). BTW, at some point you might want to reconsider the atheist thing. I won't say any more on that, unless you'd like to discuss off-forum. And it's perfectly OK to be a little self-focused when you're having medical issues. Best to your sister, I lost a cousin to liver disease. Support her as best you can without burning yourself out.

The good thing about not exercising as much is it gave me more time to do the auto repair thing. Got back into it when I discovered the local lube and oil change place wasn't lubing anything, and the idler arms on my Astro van went bad...bone dry, not an iota of grease. I figured why pay those idiots for not doing it when I can do it myself, have a little fun and save some coin.

That's where this forum has been great!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In my shade-tree adventures, I've longed for a good bidirectional scan tool, but am too cheap to pull the trigger and get one. With the exception of the reprogramming the seat sensor module, I've been able to get by with my Auto Enginuity software and an Actron ABS reader to diagnose what I need to know in order to fix my "fleet" and pay for these tools in the process.
Mine is for sale for 500cdn$

Update last was 2017.