Reseting check engine light on 1999 Ford Ranger

Website
www.billjohnson.info
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0 litre V6. How do I reset the check engine light so that it stays off. I took the truck in to my Ford repair shop because the check engine light was on. I was told the gas cap seal was dirty, it was cleaned and they cleared the code. The light stayed off for a few days, but is now back on. I am going to put on a new gas cap, and then of course want to turn off the check engine light. I know years back you just had to pull out a fuse for a few seconds, and the code would clear. I have factory repair manuals, but couldn't find the procedure. ??? Thanks

two ways to turn it off...If the repair is sucessful after several cycles it will turn itself off, a scan tool will turn the light off...

If yiu know the code tell us otherwise - I would suggest you visit one of the auto part suppliers that do free scans as a customer service.....get the code post it here some will advise, P045X

Some will turn off the CEL others will not..But if you do not fix it turning it off will not help.

Website
www.billjohnson.info
This is what the invoice from the Ford repair shop stated, I don't know if this tells you the code:

79319 363 EEC TEST P0442 TEST SYSTEM NO LEAKS FOUND FUEL FILL CAP SEAL WAS DIRTY CLEAN RETEST PASS

As I stated check engine light stayed off for a few days after this, but has now been back on for a few days.

you are assuming it is the same code....do the freee code scan I posted, if the same p0442 ...

you were on the right track... the invoice claim sthe test was done only to find a problem with fuel cap....get a new cap at ford dealer, also check the mating surface on the filler neck, be sure to hear the 3 clicks when tighting cap, engine off when refueling...