Riddle me this, Batman...

billr

wrench
Staff member
It is an old B&S engine (model 190402-3034-02) that had the con rod bearing seizing. My first thought was that I simply had it too low on oil, but I found the "splasher" that is supposed to be on the bottom of the rod was missing. It was found, broken, with both pieces in the sump. The splasher mounts with the con rod screw through a tab on the splasher. The screw was still in place, locked with a bent-tab strap, and the hole in the splasher tab is intact. I can see how the splasher could fatigue and the main part fall off, but how could the mounting tab ever get off the rod screw??? I glued the splasher back together just to show how it is supposed to be.

Attachments

NickD

wrench
Usually find inserts that are replaceable even in small engines. Abbreviated name for Briggs and Stratton is a BS engine.

Our small engine store in town went bankrupt, use to charge $7.50 for a piston connecting rod assembly, but after Clinton price shot up to 75 bucks. And was made in China. Just telling it like it is.

jigfeett

Can it be welded back together, I can't find a small engine repair place here but the local lawn mower dealer still has some old stuff but most is long gone.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I would not trust a weld; the original part fatigued and cracked and my experience is that it is difficult to have a welded part be as strong as the original. That is especially true in this case, as I think it is just a cold-formed part and could not be even heat-treated back to original strength.

It is a $5 part; either $5 + $9 shipping on-line, or $5 local but I have to wait a week or so for it to come in on the next regular shipment. It is due Friday...

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
If you're not the original owner of this motor, my guess is that the slinger broke off, and someone unbolted the rod cap in an attempt to fix it. They didn't know to look for the missing slinger, and left it in the crankcase, and thought the tab was an odd washer, and let it fall into the crankcase as well. They probably polished the rod and crank, and bolted it back together.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Alas, I am the original owner. I can't remember if I ever loaned it to somebody else. And, of course, one of my kids may have gotten to it when I was away on vacation some time, but not likely. They are not that ambitious about yard work.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If you're not the original owner of this motor, my guess is that the slinger broke off, and someone unbolted the rod cap in an attempt to fix it. They didn't know to look for the missing slinger, and left it in the crankcase, and thought the tab was an odd washer, and let it fall into the crankcase as well. They probably polished the rod and crank, and bolted it back together.
Sherlock holmes could have not said this better. ;):cool:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yeah, it has been run for one more job; probably the last time it will ever be used. I cleaned the crank journal and swapped in a rod from another old B & S engine. I don't do much yard work either, that is my wife's thing. I keep the machinery running and help when she has to have two people, like taking down trees. Oh, and when the Bobcat is needed, she refuses to operate that.

I hope that butcher shop provides good hand protection. Chain-mail gloves or something similar?