Rough idle and stalling

twicelow

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Chevrolet
MODEL:Equinox
YEAR
:2011
MILES:25K
ENGINE
:2.4l
DESCRIBE ISSUE....I wasn't driving, so I'll relate what my wife said happened. Temperature was around 55 deg F. although it got down to 37 deg during the night. But the car is garaged so it was probably 45 during the night inside. Car started and then stalled. Restarted and it seemed OK. She took off and within a mile or so, when she was waiting for the signal to change, the idle was rough and quit again. Restarted fine and seemed to run fine. Then about a mile further and again while idling and waiting for the signal, it happened again. Restarted, ran fine and the she decided to head back home. It happened two more times. It was OK while driving, but when stopped and idling and waiting is when the problem occurred Of course, when I got home and took it out to check it out, everything was normal. Idled fine etc... By the the temp was around 64 deg F. I took it out the next day and everything was fine. What gives??? She said "I'm not driving it again..." I scheduled to get it checked out by the Chev dealer on Monday. Any TSBs on this that you guys know of. Maybe just water in the gas that got cleared out? The tank is full. What if they don't find anything? I'm going on record with this problem, in case it happens again. The check engine light is NOT on. My wife didn't notice if it came on or not during the episode. She was probably too panicked to notice even if it did come on. You guys know of any history on this issue? The car is still on the 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty and also the 7yr emissions warranty, I hope they don't try to weasel out. Thanks in advance

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Most likely, the PCM will have a freeze frame of the event, but was not important enough to keep the CEL light on.

I had a slew of problems like this when working for GM.

I found this TSB for you.

Hope this will help you to get the gist of the problem and maybe wake up some service manager.

Check snap shots below.

Screenshot (455).png Screenshot (456).png

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If you fall on the recall list, mileage and usage falls out of the parameters.

But if you want to resell the car/truck, you will be stuck with the bill for that recall if you DID NOT follow recall instructions. Again, YOU WILL BE LIABLE. Not GM, nor the future buyer.

Get on top of this while you can.

$.02

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If they say they have no recall for this, they are bullshitting you.

This is a known issue.

Can you post for me/us the VIN# and build date?

It would help to know if you are on the RECALL list.

When recalled, you should NEVER spend a dime. If you have to spend $$$, someone is pulling your strings.

I gave you the recall # 11195b

It is a revised version of 11195a

Has GM revised it again? I don't know, but I feel you have sufficient ammunition now. Just hoping you have a printer to stuff the service manager when he tries to pry out of a rock and a hard place. Proof is in the pudding and stuff it where the sun don't shine.

Here are snapshots of the letter you should have received via mail. IF IN FACT YOU ARE THE ORIGINAL OWNER.

Screenshot (458).png Screenshot (459).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Oh, and also twicelow, can you punctuate sometimes?

It is hard for me to see chunks of english like that without spacing.

Don't take this the hard way, but when I try to read one huge paragraph like this, it hard for me to read.

I wasn't driving, so I'll relate what my wife said happened. Temperature was around 55 deg F. although it got down to 37 deg during the night. But the car is garaged so it was probably 45 during the night inside. Car started and then stalled. Restarted and it seemed OK. She took off and within a mile or so, when she was waiting for the signal to change, the idle was rough and quit again. Restarted fine and seemed to run fine. Then about a mile further and again while idling and waiting for the signal, it happened again. Restarted, ran fine and the she decided to head back home. It happened two more times. It was OK while driving, but when stopped and idling and waiting is when the problem occurred Of course, when I got home and took it out to check it out, everything was normal. Idled fine etc... By the the temp was around 64 deg F. I took it out the next day and everything was fine. What gives??? She said "I'm not driving it again..." I scheduled to get it checked out by the Chev dealer on Monday. Any TSBs on this that you guys know of. Maybe just water in the gas that got cleared out? The tank is full. What if they don't find anything? I'm going on record with this problem, in case it happens again. The check engine light is NOT on. My wife didn't notice if it came on or not during the episode. She was probably too panicked to notice even if it did come on. You guys know of any history on this issue? The car is still on the 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty and also the 7yr emissions warranty, I hope they don't try to weasel out. Thanks in advance

Got water in the gas on my motorhome without all this new electronic crap, 80 gallon tank, had to break open a fuel line to drain it, PITA and toss a couple of bottles of super Heat into it. Same symptoms as yours, did this happen after a fillup?

Really easier to check on this new stuff with a fuel pump tester with a hose, hook it up, let the vehicle settle for awhile, water is heavier than gas. Hot wire the fuel pump and let it pump into a container, not getting a code is typical with problems like this, and sure has been a problem around here with all this rain.

Not covered by any warranty, doesn't sound if you got water, not very much, but doesn't take very much either.

I saw no TSB'S that I thought were specific to issue. Overall there were some for FI, excess carbon, dirt accumulation on returnless system, the info nick posted, did you mention status of CEL/SES light?
Some thoughts -
description was "stalled when waiting", lets consider a TCC lock up - shift to N if you feel the stall coming on while driving. its an easy fast ck.
Go over those -carbon issues with dealer- look at PIP3146D, might be E or F revisions by now. If nothing found that would be a good service recommendation.

twicelow

Thanks guys.
nickb2. I am the original owner. The VIN is 2CNALDEC4B6387891. I took delivery on 3/18/2011. In Sep '11 I did get the notice N110195 about the solenoid valves, and they did replace them under warranty. No issues until just now. Oil consumption is not noticeable. Changed oil (use DEXOS) when the oil change indicator is down to approx 5% left or 10K since last oil change, whichever is less.

NickD. I'm thinking it might have been water in the gas. It's a possible scenario. I had just refilled the day before. My wife recalled that the night before the incident, the idle felt rough, but did not stall, but then it drove OK. Of course, overnight the water settled to the bottom of the tank, and then she had the problem the next morning. By the time she got back home and I drove it that afternoon and the next day (maybe 6 miles total), the water was gone. I'm trying to remember any other incident. I can probably recall once or twice where the idle was rough for just a second or so but never stalled. That was so rare that I can't correlate it to a fill up. We're talking a five year span here.

kev2. Unfortunately, I wasn't driving at the time. I probably would have put in into N and gave it more throttle, which I have done with other vehicles over the years.

Thanks again guys. We'll see what the dealer has to say Monday when I take it in. I definitely want to go on record in reporting this before any warranty expiration dates.

twicelow

Update: Dealer pulled code P0011, intake camshaft actuator. Performed diagnostic. Actuator out of spec. Should read 8 to 13 ohms. Was 45 and fluctuating. Replaced under warranty.(No cost) P/n 12655420. The one that was replaced in '11 was a different p/n. So it looks like GM changed something in the design and gave it a new p/n.

The dealer suggested an oil change even though it was only 50% through its change cycle. I OK'd it, just for maintaining good relations with the dealer. They also suggested a throttle body cleaning and fuel system cleaning (at $175), but I said I'll think about it. At 25K miles I don't think it needs it and the manuals don't even mention it all in their maintenance schedules. I've gone well into 100k or more w/o ever doing it on any of my previous fuel injected vehicles, with no problems of any sort. What do you guys think?

I read on some forums about the throttle body cleaning procedures and I think I could do it myself for basically nothing, when I replace the air cleaner filter. Any particular cleaners you guys recommend? Recommend any particular fuel injector cleaner that you put in the gas tank. I know NickD mentioned HEET for water related fuel issues.
Thanks in advance.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, that is good news. Seem like you stood your ground and my info helped prove it.

Or so I would like it to be so, that way I can feel important. LOL!!

For throttle cleaning, an old toothbrush is best and I really like to use mopar combustion chamber cleaner. If not, a aerosol can of carb cleaner will do. I prefer the liquid mopar solution as it can soak longer than the aerosol can.

As long as you don't use a wire brush. The TB has a factory protective coating and the wire brush takes that coating off. So just an old toothbrush is way better than ok.:idea:;)

Alot of the guys here like seafoam. I personally never have used the stuff, as I have my own recipes, but if the wrenches here say they like seafoam and it works well, I would go for that also.

It is just not readily available in my region.

GREAT NEWS - oil changing is especially critical with these VCT engines... my dealer oil, filter a wash & vacuum fairly good coffee $39.95...

The fuel system cleaning is something I posted about - the DI direct injection engines have a unique problem with deposits - was interested if they had a routine service suggestion.