RTV on tranny fluid pan? Flush additive?

infj23

2006 Malibu
Auto
4 cyl.
125K miles

I'm about to do a tranny fluid change on my neighbor lady's car. I've done a few in my time, but it's been a few years.
What is the latest word on whether to use RTV when reinstalling the pan? Just use the gasket? No gasket, just RTV? Both?

I do have some time, so if RTV is a plan I can install it and let it sit a day before putting in fluid to make sure the RTV cures and doesn't get into the fluid.

Also, how about flushing additives, something to add to the fluid before the change to make sure everything gets good and clean inside? Good idea or bad?

But really, what do real mechanics do???

Thanks,
Doc

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
My suggestion would be to just drain the fluid and replace the filter and put new fluid in....Don't put any flush stuff in it and Don't use any sealant on the pan gasket....Just replace the gasket with nothing on it....Jim

infj23

Thanks to Jim and Cheef,

Mission accomplished! I took the advice of the real mechanics and used no flush and no RTV. I dropped the pan and found no metal, only what I think was clutch dust (gooey gray stuff) coating the magnet. Cleaned out the pan and magnet until they sparkled.

I disconnected the top line going to the cooler, put in a new filter and gasket and reinstalled the pan. I poured in about a gallon of synthetic ATF. I put a tight-fitting funnel in the filler hole and kept pouring in fluid while my daughter started the car. Nasty looking stuff came out of the cooler line. When it turned pretty (probably about 3 quarts discharged) I hollered to shut her off. I reinstalled the cooling line.

With the car off, I went under and pulled the fluid check plug and got flow, so I knew I had at least a decent amount of fluid in the system. I started the car, let her get warm, and pulled the plug again. I got a trickle from the plug. I had the daughter pour some in and as soon as I got some flow I hollered "stop" and plugged her up.

On the test drive, I could barely feel her shifting.

It was a wonderful day and a marvelous success. My neighbor lady is very happy.

Based on what I did, anything I missed or anything I need to go back and check? Any need to check the fluid level in a week or two just to be sure, or am I set? And was it OK to re-use that little u-shaped clip that held the tranny cooler line in place (it seems secure with no leak)?

Thanks!
Doc

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
You should be fine.....you might want to recheck the fluid after she drives it for about a day or two ...make sure it is warmed up and in park on level ground.....just to be sure.........Jim

billr

wrench
Staff member
And yes, that "dust" on the magnet is normal.