gm
Model
saturn view
Year
Miles
1500,000 or so
Engine
6 cyl
I have a Saturn 2006 150,000 miles or so. when it was slick out I slide into a concrete divider. took it to a shop they said the lower control arm was bent. they replaced both sides and the ball joints. after picking it up. it now has a noise in the car. I took it back and they said it was the transmission bearing. the car handled good and drove good before the accident. now that it is fixed , when I go over 25 mph it sounds like there is something rubbing against the tire . brakes are fine. drove it a short distance and it seems to handle ok. but I do not know what this noise is. it was not there before the accident. even right after the accident it did not make this noise. this noise did not appear until after it was fixed. (or not), any ideas what this noise could be or what I should look for. it sounds like a window fan blowing hard. (if that makes sense)

billr

wrench
Staff member
If it got walloped hard enough to bend a control arm, then it is quite possible a bearing in the transaxle also got damaged... or an axle, or something deeper in the trans. You gotta think hard about how much you want to save this car, and how much you trust the shop doing the work. Finding the root problem here could be an expensive "exploration" process.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Another possibility that would be a lot less serious than that potential transmission bearing would be a wheel bearing. If you can say that the noise changes when a curve in the road goes right or left, a wheel bearing problem would be indicated.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Agreed, there are several "not so serious" possibilities, like the bearing Dan mentioned. The key question here is: "Do you trust the shop?"

billr

wrench
Staff member
I don't understand what you are suggesting there, nickb2. Explain further.

I would get a "second opinion" on this (from another shop that can inspect it hands-on).

Another suggestion: post this on the <saturnfans.com> forum, there may be people there that are well-familiar with this syndrome. Be sure to post in the proper forum for Vue tech help.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, I wasn't real clear on that one. A few beers and making super bowl chili. sorry.

What I think I meant to say was, if this was my car, I would remove the cv shaft and just let the inner slotted in the tranny, on lift, bring speed up to where client hears sound.
If it is in fact the tranny you have just ruled out the rest.

Sherlock Holmes yes no theory

does my last sentence make more sense IDK

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
dang it, forgot to ask, is this a base model or the red line awd drive, not much difference, my idea should still work. But would help to know for further diagnostic of this car in case the tranny differential bearing bearing actually got hit in accident.

because, yes I have seen this before. When the suspension table get bent enough, the cv shaft will transfer hit to differential bearing. so by free loading that and using a tech stethoscope in principle, should hear diff bearing whine.

Hoping I was better in this answer. ;):D:bat:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
cost of experiment, 1 cv inner collet. and maybe an ounce or two of cv grease. time wise, half hour on floor, 1 min on lift. so pretty good trick in my head. But I am a quebec french guy, every thing sounds good when it said in french.

My gf bought me a toblerone, sign I need suger and less beer.

;):beer:

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I have a Saturn 2006 150,000 miles or so. when it was slick out I slide into a concrete divider. took it to a shop they said the lower control arm was bent. they replaced both sides and the ball joints. after picking it up. it now has a noise in the car. I took it back and they said it was the transmission bearing. the car handled good and drove good before the accident. now that it is fixed , when I go over 25 mph it sounds like there is something rubbing against the tire . brakes are fine. drove it a short distance and it seems to handle ok. but I do not know what this noise is. it was not there before the accident. even right after the accident it did not make this noise. this noise did not appear until after it was fixed. (or not), any ideas what this noise could be or what I should look for. it sounds like a window fan blowing hard. (if that makes sense)
as for all this, I must say, it was hard for me to read cuz there was no punctuation and spacing, my french brain got fired up.

So I had to deconstruct phrases to this in my head.

when it was slick out I slide into a concrete divider