sentra 04 tranny question

sentra2084

I have a question for the experts out there. . . I have recently had problems with my auto tranny on my sentra 2. 5 l. It will shift hard going from 1st to second , not as hard from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to fourth. I checked the fluid requirements from the service manual and it says that for the tranny a refill is 9 qts. US , but I only drained 4. 25 qts! The stick shows it is at a normal level. Am I missing something on the refill instructs?. The shifting appears to work normally after it warms up for 15 minutes. Thanks to all.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
A "refill" only counts if you can drain ALL the fluid. A pan drop or drain plug will not empty all the fluid. What color and smell was the drained fluid? What type fluid did you install? Any additives? Any add ons, radio, alarm, air filter? Mileage? Post back, Transman

sentra2084

Transman, thanks for the reply. . I did only a drain plug on the ATF pan,it was 4. 25 quarts. The fluid was a little dark, it did not smell burnt though. I refilled with Nissan Dmatic fluid, no additives were added. I do not have any add ons, all factory installed items. The vehicle has 65K miles on it,additionally, 5 or 6 months ago, I did have the dealer do a transmission flush service since it had 60K plus miles. Also, the transmission will work normally sometime, it seems as though it has to be running for a while though. It has overdrive as well.
what do you think? Jim

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Hmm, did it have this problem before the flush? Check engine light? ANY engine running glitches/issues (misfire, stumble, stall)? Any other service work lately? Tune up? Post back, Transman

Elrod

4 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION HARSH 1-2 SHIFT AND/OR DTC P0745 STORED

APPLIED VEHICLES:
2003 - 2005 Altima (L31)
2003 - 2005 Sentra
2003 - 2004 Maxima (A33 and A34)
2004 Quest (V42)

APPLIED DATES: Vehicles built between:
December 1, 2002 and August 27, 2004

APPLIED TRANSMISSIONS:
4 speed A/T: RE4F04B and RE4F03B

IF YOU CONFIRM:

The transmission fluid is full (correct level) and in good condition (not burnt), and

^ There is a harsh shift from 1st to 2nd gear, and/or

^ DTC P0745 (line pressure solenoid circuit) is stored,

ACTIONS:

1. Drain and remove the transmission oil pan.

2. Push/pull the ground terminal and wire for the solenoid valve assembly (see Service Procedure step 4).

^ If it doesn't come off, solder the terminal.

^ If it does come off, replace the solenoid assembly.

3. After soldering, recheck the ground terminal and wire (see Service Procedure step 8).

^ If it's tight, repair is complete.

^ If it's loose, replace the solenoid assembly.

IMPORTANT: The purpose of "ACTIONS" (above) is to give you a quick idea of the work you will be performing. You MUST closely follow the entire Service Procedure as it contains information that is essential to successfully completing this repair.

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
The ATSG bulletin for this one is quite extensive (10 pages). Part of the testing procedure is specific pins at the TCM (trans computer) and could be at fault. I would recommend you find a competent repair shop in your area for this one. You might take the time to check connections first, look for corrosion or rust. Check all ground connections for solid contact especially at the often overlooked battery. The bulletin that Elrod posted is not complete and would be difficult to follow as the service procedures are not posted. I believe he was posting this to show you there are bulletins on this particular problem that does not require trans overhaul. Transman