service air bag is on

cw41

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:chev
MODEL:silverado
YEAR:2007
MILES:180000
ENGINE:5.3
DESCRIBE ISSUE....Air bag service is on

cw41

While replacing the third ac delco rack and pinion on my 07, did everything like before and now have the air bag light on. I made the mistake of not blocking steering wheel from turning but dont remember having an issue connecting the shaft to rack or needing to turn the shaft to line up flats on shaft to rack. Could I have moved the steering wheel enough to damage the clock spring? I have codes B0026, B0043 and B0044.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, I'll consider this to be a steering column issue. Yes, I think that a clock-spring problem has to be suspected. What else may go through that clock-spring... horn, cruise-control? Do those work OK?

cw41

thanks billr, the horn and radio buttons work intermittedly, spelling, as they didnt totally quit. Could I have really damaged the clock spring by not blocking the steering wheel?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Almost anything is possible. You say the shaft/coupling slipped back together with no need to turn the steering wheel. Were the steering wheel and front wheels left in the exact same position as the rack was replaced, and no need to adjust side rods from rack to wheels much when the new rack was installed?

cw41

thanks billr, yes no need to turn the steering wheel, but probably a slight amount to get the flats to line up to install rack/coupler bolt. Very little adjustment was needed on the toe to get back in specs. I took off the air bag from steering wheel and unplugged the two yellow wires and used an ohm meter and show an open but I dont know for sure if this test is reliable. Then went to the driver kick panel and unplugged the yellow foru wire connector twice and then noticed that the service air bag information was gone but the red air bag light is still on and horn works but all other wheel controls including radio don't. I'm fairly certain its the clock spring but at 200.00 I want to make sure.
I hope I'm not bending the rules on this service air bag issue discusssion and thanks for your help.