Set timing on 97 Mazda 626

dosmazda

I changed a head gasket on my 97 626. After getting everything back together I need to set the timing. My Haynes / Chilton manual shows what pins to jump out on the data link connector for the manual trans. I have a automatic. The manual has no illustration and only speaks of a " two wire spout connector " that has to be disconnected , located between the battery and the data link connector. I can't find this spout. When I try to set the timing anyway I can never get the mark to anywhere close to 11 to 13 degrees. Any help would be appreciated, Alan Waggoner

Jim Davis

That connector is not on your car, it was on the older, pre OBD II ones. make sure your idle is at 650 rpm, then jumper the DLC. should be able to get between 9-11 degrees BTDC with it jumpered.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
Like Jim said... set the idle then adjust the timing...here is a diagram if you need it.....Alldata says Ignition timing: BTDC 6-18° for manual tranny.......Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

dosmazda

Thanks for your reply. My DLC only has terminals on the gnd and the #6 one across, if gnd is #1. Then on the next line down theres one on #5 , then the next line down theres one on #3. I tried to send an attachment but I can't figure out how. Anyway I don't have a terminal on #10 as you have shown me and is shown in my Haynes manual. It seems I always get the cars that are not like the manual says they should be! Any ideas ? Alan

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
Yours might be the changeover year...you need to disconnect the two wire spout connector shorting bar located between the battery and data link connector ....let me know if you find it.....Jim

Paul

I'm The Decider
Dosmazda,It would help if you told us what engine is in your 626.

dosmazda

I'm sorry , I should have started off with that. 97 mazda 626, 2.0L, 4cyl , auto trans. I would like to sent a attachment like a photo or copy of where the terminals are located on the DLC. I 've looked all around and don't see a Spout Connector... Alan

Paul

I'm The Decider
The info I have to adjust the ignition timing for the auto trans is to use the Ford/Mazda scan tool.Also,there is a mark on the drive gear of the distributor that has to align with a mark on the body of the distributor.That would be the first step is making sure those marks are aligned.