Sometimes, it is good to sit on a school bench. VVT refresher course.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I really enjoy when you respond. Many things that make me think.

We/I had fun also tinkering around with a transducer for investigating water pump flow. We had a pump that had a blown impeller, we saw that with the transducer.

Superimposing graphs also had us measure vac at same time of compression event. Once we had those timed up on the scope, we could see which cylinder had lazy vac. Compared those reading for past relative compression, it was nice to see the similarities.

I find conventional methods vary useful also, but newer cars are getting harder to get to serviceable ports and inlets for conventional means, so this type of device is looking more useful than back when both banks could be gotten to without remove a intake. Even many of the new turbos four banger, and even many normal twin cam engines also require intake removal just to get to a PCV valve, let along change a spark plug or two much less take a full compression sweep with conventional means.

But I don't think my boss realizes the time savings in the scope dept, he is closing in on retirement and long ago forgot what a new wrench looks like.

Anyway, misfire classes for two days next week, will be using the scope again in conjunction with transducer, will probably learn more about the vast uses of the transducer in the automotive world as the teacher explains in greater detail. 8th and 9th. .

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
As for software, the pico software is way better than the autel software we tried to use. The autel software was horrendous for graphing and getting percentage frames in with other measurements. The pico has specified automatic scales, while the autel one was just a nightmare to navigate and find proper settings for what we trying to do.

That kind of pissed me off when I saw the autel scope was proprietary. It worked good on the scanner, but suffered baud rates problems. On a laptop, it became unusable and the software just simply froze so often, we could not get useful reading to compare and superimpose.

Like I said, that pissed me off, cuz I have my own autel pro kit, but it did not come with a 4 ch scope. We have two elite autels at work, they come with basic scope and adapters for simple to advanced diagnostics but the software seems to have been not very well tested before launch. Maybe the next version or update will have worked out some of the kinks with the laptop software. The android one seems to be better, but the android based tablet is not as quick as my I5 laptop for for example.

This trade can get tiresome with the never ending tool buying. ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Anyways, @billr Again, thx for your time and effort to read and respond. Greatly appreciated. It makes me think more about what I really need to invest in myself or leave that to my boss. ;)

What is "14.1 to 7" in the first post, 14.7:1 seems more correct if talking about the stoichiometric ideal mixture. ratio of air to fuel by weight. Actually should be a lot less than 14.7 if pure oxygen was used, air is 90% nitrogen

Direct fuel injection seems to be the answer, can even get by with a higher ratio for better fuel economy. But also results in higher combustion chamber temperatures that increases NOx's production, can't win.

Automotive self diagnostics can only be described as the cheapest most unreliable type. No secondary references are used such as in military electronics. That was more fun, not dealing with bean counters. Any engineer would be dead without an oscilloscope in automotive design, but yet all shop manuals are trying to get by with a volt ohm meter.

Recall when they first came out, went to a shop to complain about bumper falling off, tech said, no way, I ain't getting a code! Lots of things can upset the AF ratio, but anything will issue an O2 code. So what's the first thing you do? Replace the O2 sensor.

My six year old grandson can walk into any auto store and buy any brake parts. But the makers of code readers won't give ABS code data because they don't want to accept the liability. But in other literature, ABS in no way affects the primary brake system.

That is also not true if an ABS valve, no code for this is stuck closed, no brakes for that wheel.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
We have two of those maxi scopes lying around, gathering dust, I have a thought to open one up, and open the hantek one my co worker bought, I think it is the same hardware, but the main IC holding the "bios" if you will, I am at a loss for words on that, flash ram maybe.

Finding an open source one like in the hantek model would open it's interface software greatly, if that works, three scopes at work to practice on to get boss to justify the pico buy.

However, I am still interested in the http://autoscope.eu/home/

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
It is from slovakia, so I am guessing it should be well made. And just by some pics on the net, the leads and accesories just look more robust than the hantek/autel. It is still a USB unit, but I don't know if I will ever really need a super high sampling rate for what I generally do. For some reason, we whine and complain, boss say we got from autel, deal with em.

Co worker bought a chink hantek 4 channel, he likes it better. Even says the leads are more robust, but I showed him the packaging of the leads the autel comes in, written hantek on the bag. So that just confirms who the priginal supplier of the stuff is. They just add a proprietary IC chip in there. That's it. Then your stuck with the software.

There are some really good softwares out there, but they can only use open source stuff like the hantek, which autel uses, but just rebadges in my opinion. Will know that when I open them. Co worker is ready to sacrifice. Just for sake of laughs.

Looking at site, all available options like vac tranducers and pick up's. I like the long handle inductive. Also the coil on plug adapter sleeves. Buying the master kit for this is half price of a pico. Maybe he will go for that.

I am waiting to pay off a tool, next year he will probably finance this one, it will be mine to keep once it is paid for.

http://autoscope.eu/products/