Make
FORD
Model
F 150
Year
Miles
Engine
5.4 triton
Got a 2005 Ford F150 with a 5.4 triton. It needs plugs. I know they are known for breaking and havent dealt with this animal yet. Ive heard some guys warm the engine then try and use a ratchet to remove them. Ive heard others say its best to just put an impact on them right away. I have the extraction tools for this motor just havent ever done plugs on one before. What do you guys think is the best sucess method ?

billr

wrench
Staff member
I. too have read that some Ford engines have a problem with spark plugs breaking; but have no personal knowledge/experience and can't really think of a reason why. I would try the ratchet with the engine cold. There is little-to-no "feel" or finesse with an impact wrench, I think it would increase chances of breaking the plugs or damaging threads in the head.

big al

Ive been told the carbon so to speak builds up at the bottom of the plug and basicly welds it in. It depends on what ya read ar listen to. Some have great success and some break them. Ive know they were a PITA but havent had the chance to one until now. My thought were also use ratchet on a cold motor. Theres just enuff to remove that it would probly cool down before the job was complete anyway. Lol, used to be ford would blow the plugs out taking the threads with them, the newer design makes stay in and break. Lol

NickD

wrench
Only a complete stupid idiot would design a spark plug with 5 or 6 exposed threads in the combustion chamber where carbon can built up. And I really don't give a dam about the spark plugs, what you really care about is wrecking the threads in an aluminum head.

My kid believed that BS about plugs lasting 100K miles, but was getting misfires at 60 K, told him to add three cans of Seafoam to his gas tank, 24 gallons on these things, that softened up the carbon so we could ease them out.

Have no idea why Chrysler uses those mile wide upper intake manifolds, all the air intakes are on the center, but they had to be removed first. And their coil on plugs did not have those rubber boots that baked on.

KD makes a spark plug hole repair kit, had to use that on some cars, this never was a problem with cast iron heads.

On some cars that carboned up quickly, put the plugs in my machine lathe and cut those worthless threads off. If you really do a search can find plugs that are made that way, but may take you a life time.

Kind of hate Fords, they use unplated raw steel rolled bolts in aluminum, stupid basterds never heard about electroplating with different metals. One little tiny pull with a hand wrench, the heads break off. Took me from early morning to passed midnight to replace a water pump with broken bolts. Drilling them out was not a problem, but removing all that crap blocking them was.

big al

Yep, thats them i guess. Does the extractor tool remove that bottom piece pretty good. Its had about 10 bottles of lucas injector/top end lube ran thru the fuel in preparatin for this job. Any tips to not breaking them? Any tips to remove broken ones?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Any guesses as to why Ford created that goofy beast?

big al

No idea. The model years before this were known for blowing out the plugs on their own. Then i guess in 2004 or 5 the redesigned to this crap. Im really not looking foward to this job.

big al

Ha, lol i also have the repair kit gor the previous years. Thank god for Time Sert kits. Ive repaired sqaud cars and trucks with the kit.

NickD

wrench
Have to take back my comment on not worrying about breaking the plug, if that bottom piece breaks off and is in the cylinder, how do you remove it? Remove the heads?

1605963788561.png

NickD

wrench
Suppose to use a special nickel anti-seize on that extended ground terminal, can corrode to the engine head and its my guess you don't want to leave these plugs in very long without adding more anti-seize to it with 2,200*F combustion chamber temperatures. Kind of another crazy idea from Ford, use to be my favorite car until Henry died. Showing some kind of special spark plug removal tool.

1605964971486.png