Spark plug replacement

jdl

I looked at the service bulletin for the spark plugs. Don't try to remove plugs on a hot or warm engine. Room temp only. Don't use air or power tools for plug removal. Try to loosen 1/8 to a 1/4, then use carb cleaner in spark plug well, just up to the hex nut. Let set minimum of 15 minutes before going further. I wasn't sure this site allowed you to cut and paste from automotive database or print screen? If you have procedure that works for you on plug removal that differs from service bulletin, great.

jigfeett

Steak for ya Dan.,
1607463629436.png

NickD

wrench
Forgot to update - all 8 plugs out, none broke. Royal PITA and slow process. Warmed the truck operating temp and did the front 2on each side, warm the truck again and back 2 then warm it again and other 2. The back 4 sucked bad but all 4 came out and were very very worn. Also replaced 4 original cracked coils (other 4 already previously replaced). Plugs were worn like they 200 thousand on them (literally nothing left). Trucks runs good again.

Tantamount to betting a Los Vegas, LOL, pure luck with the odds against you.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I just want to say to the newbie, if you want a job done right, listen.

If the techs actually fixing them are saying, impact this shit on a warm engine, it f ing works, try it. But you need a bit of life experience to do that. So, does the tsb work, or more noise or maybe, just a stall tactic from ford to inhibit lawyers.

big al

Yep, warm the motor first. Worked great. I have heard of other guys trying cold, also heard them teach the shop a new langauge right after. MY first one to do and it went good. I dislike the older models that blew the plugs out. Done plenty of those.