speakers hum whistle

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
dang it billr, I was getting to that just now. And you stole my thunder.

How dare you. :mad: ;) :fixed:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@Bill was just jostling you, you always say what I TRY to say better. And I thx you for that.

;)

I am sure this issue will be an easy fix. Either no more funky stuff in truck, or op finds a way to shield what is causing the hum slash whistle, but I am certain this is the proper way of going. Eliminate all aftermarket crap, and see if hum is still there, if so, relocate alt harness or sheild it, if hum still there, now this gets real INTERESTING:p

jigfeett

I will be working on it this weekend and will go after the grounds and all cables to clean up routings and verify tight connections

OH Billr I have aluminum foil in my wallet to protect credit cards, RFID protection at it's best.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Since I am so lonely, my gf is off to work on night shift taking care of elderly, I am slightly pacing to and fro in a slight daze of what should I do now?

So I remembered one of these types of posts here a long time ago.

It ended up pretty much the same as this one should probably go. Meaning truck is fine, after marj=ket, is shot. try again with better install and newer tech. %G is here, but no fuss yet to invest yet, going with 4 g stuff is fine.

jigfeett

She reports the hum did not go away after removing the bluetooth device, so now the sound system is completely stock.
Going back to the basics, Going to do a complete tune up. ie. plugs, wires, and new coils because I checked a few and found warn plugs and two plug wires are cracked, also two of the coils are broken where the plug wire attaches, so out with it all and in with all new.
While I am in there I will reroute the alternator battery wire and shield it plus go through and remove and clean all grounds.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Is this sound happening often enough that you could drive the car with the alternator disconnected (both power lead and field/regulator cable)? With a good battery charge, you should be able to drive it for several hours without the alt in operation; but little-to-no cranking for re-start allowed!

Shielding will help for "noise" radiated through the air, but does little for what is conducted through wiring. You should check for AC ripple on the alt output, but I think that would be at too low a frequency for the audible heard. If it is an alt problem, I think it would be more likely to be from the voltage regulator switching the field on/off; that is probably at a higher frequency.

Is the hum with all "sound system" operations, or only some? If it is radio only, then the antenna lead or its grounding is suspect. That antenna lead is a shielded cable that keeps out radiated electrical noise at the most crucial/sensitive part of the circuit; the shield must be undamaged everywhere and grounded right at the radio case.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Does ANYONE listen to AM radio anymore? I just remembered that "noise" happens a lot more on the AM band, especially with distant stations.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yes, my wife and I use AM to get distant stations; would use it more if the variety of programming on AM was better. AM may not be as good quality under perfect conditions, but as soon as you get some distance or obstructions between you and an FM transmitter the FM goes to crap. Much poorer quality then than an AM with static. Same goes for our wonderful new digital TV. They had to bump the transmitting power up about 10X for digital (great energy savings there) and the signal still cuts out much more, and in a more annoying fashion, than the old analog.

jigfeett

Not sure if I will get to work on it this weekend or not but if I do I will update Monday

jigfeett

Yesterday she reported no noise at all and drove on 4 separate trips to shopping. I'm thinking it is an alternator issue but until I can actually work on it, I just won't know.