SRS code B0036

Boomer

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Chevy
MODEL:S10
YEAR:2002
MILES:126,000
ENGINE
:4.3
DESCRIBE ISSUE....I have had an intermittent Air bag light for awhile. I just got the code read. The code is B0036. ADS open/missing/shorted to battery. The following are the conditions to set the code.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The SDM detects the voltage at the front end sensor signal is greater than 3.65 volts for 300 milliseconds.

What I have found on the net was info for this from a 2005 Blazer. I'm guessing it's the same but, not sure. It came from Mitchell On demand. I have uploaded it in case it helps. It's the flow chart. The connector looks new when disconnected. It is not corroded whatsoever. The info in step 21 of the chart says measure the voltage at the input of the sensor. According to the info it's supposed to be less than 1 volt. It measures 4.72 volts. This is consistent with the condition to set the code. It says go to step 22. Locate and repair a short to voltage in the discriminating sensor input circuit. I proceeded to start tracing the wiring. There is a connector located right near the underhood fuse box. I took the air box out so I could get a good look and get at it. I disconnected the connector and measured the voltage on the yellow wire there. Still the same 4.72 volts. This tells me the wiring from there down to the sensor is ok. The short to voltage would have to be up the line towards the SDM.
This is where I need advice. I'm hoping some of you guys have had to troubleshoot this before. There are no more connectors. The wiring in the vehicle is all stock. No remote starters, alarms, afmkt radios, nothing. It would obviously be very difficult to inspect the wire the rest of the way up. It's completely wrapped with a million other wires. It seems unlikely to me it would be chafed. I think the final step in the tree is replace the SDM. (Air bag module) I'm not one to throw parts at it. Does anyone have ideas of how to continue on this?

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
I don't think we are allowed to advise on SRS systems here.