Stalled at the light

DJM1972

2000 Ford Taurus 3.0 DOHC 65,000miles Duratec

I know its been 7 months since I made this post but I think my current problem pertains directly to this problem.

Never mind I’ll just make a new post. Here’s the old post: http://batauto.com/Forums/index.php?topic=10256.msg59939#msg59939

Her car stalled at the street light a couple of days ago.

Will the DPFE cause the car to stall out?

I replace the EGR valve and the gas cap. And yes she says the car is stalling out now. And the SES light has never shut off since I wrecked it almost 1 year to the day I think. Actually I’m not really sure how long the SES light has been on.

Where is the DPFE sensor located on a Ford taurus.

I have a home wiring tester. I think I can use this to test it with.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, thanks for the link to the old thread, that saved me from searching. However, I think it would be easier if we did go back to it, there is a lot of info there to refer bback to. Have you cleared codes recently, to see what comes back

Look for a hole in a u-shaped black rubber hose under the throttle body. Do you hear a vacuum leak in that area? A whistling or hissing or sucking sound. The hose is part of the PCV system.

Well, you never did tell us if the DPFE sensor was plastic or metal. Sounds like it wasn't an EGR valve problem, did I mention ford came out with a newer design ? The old design is metal, new one is plastic. The sensor (if memory serves me) is pretty burried on that car. Its under the EGR valve, next to the PCV, and besides the idle air control. Funny thing is that stalling when coming up to a light is typical behavior for the idle air control (IAC) going bad. Can you get it to act up for you ? In a parking lot try getting it to act up, and when its about to stall take your other foot and give it just a little gas pedal. if it doesn't stall you likely have a bad IAC. Now people have said you can clean them, but beware that it MIGHT damage the valve. I cleaned one on my truck and had this horrible resonance whistle type of noise.

Ford_Dude

DJM1972

I went to Advanced autoparts and they wouldn't clear the codes for me. But they let me do it. It took be about 20 minutes but I cleared them. If I used it properly when I check for the new codes none came back and the SES went out. I drove it 50 miles yesterday without a single problem. I asked her if it was raining when it stalled out she said yes.

I think I found the DPFE sensor and I think it is plastic.
I didn't hear or see any vacum leaks. But I may have over look this.
I think the DPFE sensor is back by the firewall. But I still need to do a little more searching to be sure.
What does the Idle air control look like. I think it was 3 sensors on the intake. I think I know which one is the Mass air flow sensor but not sure what the others are.
I couldn't find the PCV valve I'll have to look a little harder for that I'm guessing.
I found a good place to test it out but it wouldn't act up for me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted during maintenance]

Hello,
The IAC is dead in the middle of the first picture. As for the DPFE sensor I can not see it in any of these pictures, if memory serves me its pretty burried, but prehaps somebody has a picture to clear up where its located.

Ford_Dude

Kids' 2000 Ford Taurus 3.0 DOHC 230,000 mile Duratec engine quit at idle, but did restart right away, needed a good tune up. Does yours or your girl friends' car restart?

Good tune requires checking all systems, compression, ignition, fuel, vacuum system, EGR, IAC, etc. And then you found trouble codes, but didn't list them. Just guessing.

DJM1972

Well I changed the spark plugs hoping it might fix the problem but it didnt. Its still doing the same thing. Only I can actually describe it a little better because it happened to me. We drove about 30 or 40 miles or so. Turned it off and left it sit for a half hour or so. And when I started the car it spit and sputtered. The whole car was jerkin around. It did this for about 10 seconds or so (My girlfriend said it did it to her for about a minute or so). But it ran fine on the highway after that.
After this incident we put the car on my girlfriends brother-in-laws tester. He has a tester for testing Diesel. So supposedly it will test anything for a ford.

His tester found:
P1408,
P0402 Exhaust gas Reserculate,
P0442 EVAP leak detected,
J1850 PWM interface

I decided to start with the EGR problem since I replaced it and am still getting these codes.

I went to trouble codes.com and it says for P1408: Vehicles may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (mil) on with a diagnostic trouble code (dtc) p0401 and/or p1408 stored in memory. this may be caused by a loss of vacuum to the exhaust gas recirculation system because the rubber vacuum e

P0402: EGR solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- EGR solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
- EGR volume control valve stuck closed
- Dead (Weak) battery
- Faulty EGR temperature sensor and circuit
- Faulty EGR Valve
- EGR passage clogged
- Exhaust gas leaks

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0402_ford.html#ixzz1rfSi2jzA

Im still trying to figure out if my EGR valve is electrically operated or vacuum operated. At 1st I just assumed it was vacuum operated because of the vacuum line right on top of the EGR vavle. But I followed the green vacuum line and it goes to another component with a wire. So maybe some how it is controlled electronically. It appears that the vacuum line goes to the EGR vacuum solenoid.

I also went here and am trying to figure out how to test the DPFE sensor: http://www.suitorsgarage.com/projects/projectstaurus1.html

Also the DPFE sensor is plastic and I did find it.

DJM1972

Sorry about resurecting an old post and I hope I didn't scare anyone with this post.

I guess I just want to know how to test the DPFE sensor

DJM1972

Well I tried to test the DFPE. While I was trying to take it off I broke one of the plastic tube off. So I went to advance auto parts and bought one for $35.00. I'll see if it helps.
I couldn't figure out how to get the positive test prob into the DFPE terminal with it pluged into the plug. Its said to leave the DFPE sensor pluged in with the key on.