starter cable

What would cause the cable wire to come off the starter and how can I repair it?
Drove it all day today and go out later.. totally dead... has new battery of 3 days.. :p

What kind of vehicle is it? What engine?.....Do you mean the battery cable physically came off?...Was it replaced recently?...Maybe it wasn't tightened all the way and worked it's way off....Jim

ironhead

Is it a 96 or later Ford truck? If so, get a new cable from Ford. They were made just a little shorter than I think they should have been and they tend to pull out of the lug on the starter. The replacement is about 1/2 " longer and that`s all it takes.

the vehicle is a 95 Ford Windstar.. 3.8 6cyl.
I have been wondering why every so often the cable comes loose and here i am... the van won't start. Do you think the problem could be like you said " the cable is too short?"
I wish you were here to fix it for me now... I'm totally without a car and no one here to help me :)

:) fixed
Believe it or not, that wasn't the problem... my neighbor came over to look and he put the van in park and then put it in N and it started right off... safety switch.... no problems with it today, so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for your help!!!!

D

Denise

In reference to my previous emails, WHERE is the safety switch located in a 95 Ford windstar?? ???

If you mean the nuetral safety switch it is on the transaxle..... The neutral safety switch is incorporated into the Transaxle Range Sensor (TR) attached to the transaxle and connected to the manual control lever shaft.
...................Jim