Make
Ford
Model
Fusion
Year
Miles
Engine
3.0L
Took vehicle in for air bag recall which I think was passenger side. Upon return I noticed the steering wheel was at least a quarter turn off center. I could tell they disconnected the battery and this vehicle has electric steering, so could the steering have lost it's calibration and needs to relearn? Tires and alignment were done less than 7K mi. ago. So I disconnected the battery again thinking it would "reboot" the PCM, no luck, now it runs like crap, RPMs are hunting and trans is shifting harsh. There are no codes. Am I losing it? Others have also asked why the wheel is crooked?

billr

wrench
Staff member
The PCM may have to go through a few drive cycles/miles to re-learn some parameters; give it a few days.

Why didn't you take it right back to the dealer to get the steering wheel re-centered??? Do that now. If it was correct before you took it in for the recall and not correct after, they should correct it for no charge. Escalate the complaint to the regional and then national level if they balk. Still no joy? Contact the Feds about how poorly this recall was handled.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So I disconnected the battery again thinking it would "reboot" the PCM, no luck, now it runs like crap, RPMs are hunting and trans is shifting harsh.
Above comment is normal. Fuel trim adaptive memory and trans shift adaptive will take a small while to relearn as Billr wrote. As for the steering a 1/4 off, that is quite significant and I would suspect it would have coded a steering wheel angle sensor code.

So, I would look at the work order and see if you can find the recall #. If they replaced the steering angle sensor as well, it was badly done and I am extremely surprised it did not code that. Post back the recall number and I will study it.

Also, what type of code reader are you using?
Upon return I noticed the steering wheel was at least a quarter turn off center. I could tell they disconnected the battery and this vehicle has electric steering, so could the steering have lost it's calibration and needs to relearn?
As for this comment, there is no way this steering wheel is off center because the steering gear lost battery power. There is still a physical link that makes it impossible to be a 1/4turn off unless someone took the rack out, or took the steering wheel off and put one or the other back on and did not mind the markings or did not center his steering wheel before removal of either one.

In the following picture, you will see the rack and the pinion shaft that is bolted to the column.

Other types of electric steering cars are completly separated from the column. Not your fusion. There is an assist motor off to the side, but it does not affect wheel aligmnent per say. There is a zero center relearn that always needs to be done when a rack and P/S module is replaced, and also when a steering angle sensor is replaced. Picture in PDF below.

I also know there is or was a recall for the steering gear(rack). So maybe they did that as well. I don't know. But if your steering wheel is off a FULL 1/4turn, something was physically removed and not put back to center and it has nothing to do with a module reconfiguration. Cuz even if the steering angle sensor is not reporting zero or the module is not configure, the car will still be straight if nothing was psycyally dismanted in regards to steering components.

Hope this helps, and YES to all the other comments, that ford dealership is responsible if you were/are sure nothing else was done to it after they touched it for the passenger airbag recall.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In the following snapshot, you will see that ford asks you to "mark" the steering wheel, much like a mercedes. That is probably due to NOT having a notch. So that is my initial assumption seen through my crystal ball, is that they removed the angle sensor for some reason, or just the wheel itself and just put it back any old way. That would also account for lack of codes as the car thinks it is aligned. But if you can see the wheel off a 1/4 turn and car is going staright and handling fine in a straight line. Then this is the only viable option I can see at this point.:cool:

That also means the tech did not test drive the car or just just did not give a flying "F" and handed back the keys with the wheel off that way.

In any event, shoddy work. If battery voltage lost for some reason and/or all freeze frames erased, the tech NEEDS to do a test drive. However, you disconnected the battery assuming it would reboot the CPU per say. Of course it did. But that is your fault and in principle, no big deal, drivabilty will return to normal once adpatives have learned your driving habits aknew. But it does not account for the 1/4 turn off. That is and should be their responsibility in regards to their techs work. Screenshot (18).png

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Another thing that puzzles me, is you say it has no codes, yet you disconnected the battery yourself. You state the car lopes and shifts harshly which is totally normal after a loss of all flash ram whether it be unintentional or on purpose.

So again, my question, what sort of code reader are you using. Cuz after a bat+ loss, there is ALWAYS a p1000 code until ALL drive cycles complete.

Also of note, a full or more 1/4 turn off may damage the clockspring/steering wheel angle sensor in case of a full turn to stop rotation. So be mindfull of that untill you get it fixed. Or be like me, and break it in wise manner and get them to put in a new one on goodwill for shoddy work.

Disclaimer, I do not say to do it. I just said what I would do to piss the shop off for the loss of time out of my life. :eek:;):bat:;)

Last edited:

PC

Recall # 19S01 installed W711044 S403 clip, AE5Z 54044A74 D Air Bag and W712961 S439 Bolt. Called on Sat to speak with service mgr, unavailable, never called back. Called today, unavailable again, so I showed up at the dealer and explained the steering wheel issue. Tech brought it into the shop for about 10 min, or less., then test drive and returned it, told me the spline was off and he adjusted. Why? It went in for air bag recall, no mention of steering or suspension, so I'm at a loss here, but it is fixed, wheel is straight and driveability issues seem to have sorted out. It was passenger air bag, steering should not have been touched. As for code reader, I have a OBDLinkMX+ OBD-II adapter with their obdlink software that I'm still trying to figure out. Thanks everyone.