Make
Chevrolet
Model
Volt
Year
Miles
Engine
Voltec
This is just a general question for my own curiosity, I had to replace the strut mount on a 2017 Volt with 24k miles (same chassis as Chevy Cruze). The symptom was the LF spring was binding up when turning left, and when I removed the strut found the assembly was seized so badly I couldn't move it by hand. When I pulled it apart I found the bearing race was broken. No signs of water or dirt ingress.

Anyone seen a failure like this before? I have definitely seen these bearing fail with age, but this seemed very odd. I suppose it could have hit a really bad pothole or curb, but there's no signs of anything else being damaged.

strut bearing.jpg

billr

wrench
Staff member
Sure, it looks unusual and premature; but that's life. Not everything gets manufactured/installed/used perfectly.

grcauto

That should be covered under warranty. I doubt it's from hitting anything or you would know it. I would take it to the dealer and show them the old bearing. If you bought it there they may cover the cost of the part. Worth a shot, Maybe.

You are not the only one with strut bearing problems from GM, first made in the USA, moved up to Canada, then over to China, China is the problem.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, it took me a half minute to realize where I was going with this. Good thing I am in my jammys, coffee and beer on my shyte so hard I laughed at that last comment.

Did I just write jammy's?

Things wear off I guess.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Sure, it looks unusual and premature; but that's life. Not everything gets manufactured/installed/used perfectly
This one, is the most logical assumption. Call it "a bad hair day" type deal. If it legit, gm will own it. In principle. And yes that was my disclaimer of the day.

Thanks for the replies! I'll chalk it up to being a fluke and move on. Vehicle isn't under B2B warranty, expired due to time, not mileage (car was in service July 2016).

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, now you know. Wish there was a better option, but at this point, it is apparent it is a fluke, gm should provide.

What is cool, you took time to document, that is wise. ;) Some ppl will actually surprise you, mobile dan is my got to how to surprise me guy.

Not the end of the world,

https://www.carid.com/dorman/front-...K4_ZK61l_gQiU39tnoZuyWWQ7wYvUh1UaArolEALw_wcB

23 bucks, not that difficult to replace, you mentioned the Cruze, had one of those, had a recall, major problem was they were never lubricated. I opened my replacement up and used plenty of Wolf's Red High Temperature Bearing Grease, lasted until the rest of the car was a pile of rust.

Real killer is when the rocker panels turn to rust, can buy new ones, but nothing left to weld them on to.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Sometimes, I read Nickd or Jackc or Billr, and gosh, the humor and wisdom, is awesome.

In all my yrs, working hard to do stuff, finding a good team was hard.

I used this site as a trampoline. I was lost to some things.